Ethnoveterinary medicine: can you help?

William Milliken

New User
Visit site
In the British Isles, local farmers and vets used to use plants to treat their livestock. Information was passed from one generation to the next, and often was not written down.

How much of the knowledge now remains in the population?

The use of wild or cultivated plants as animal medicines (Ethnoveterinary Use) is common across the world. For many years, scientists have collected information from farmers in India, Ethiopia and Uganda, for example, and studied the effect on treating animals with these plants. Some species used by farmers in British Columbia also exist in the British Isles. For example, Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) is used to treat mastitis and sternal abscesses, Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) to treat zinc deficiency, Self-heal (Prunella vulgaris) to treat wounds, and Juniper (Juniperus communis) to treat endoparasites and liver fluke in ruminant animals.

The Ethnoveterinary Medicine Project, established by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, aims to record the remaining knowledge, from across the British Isles, before it disappears. Some data have already been collected, mostly previously published information from the past. However, but we also interviewed rural people for existing knowledge. Duncan Matheson, from Kyle of Lochalsh, explained that the Rosebay willowherb (Chamaenerion angustifolium), which used to be rare, is now extremely common. “The root is very valuable if you boil it down, particularly for healing wounds on horses. Horses are extremely delicate: cuts and saddle burrs are very difficult to correct. But this stuff is particularly good for it.”

Similarly, wild plants used as feeds were thought to influence the health, behaviour or flavour of the meat or milk. Tufted vetch (Vicia cracca) was used in the past as a fodder plant in South Uist, and it was said that a cow that ate well on this plant would ‘take the bull’ more easily, and earlier in the season. On the Isle of Colonsay, Sea plantain (Plantago maritima) was thought to improve the cream and butter yield of cows and was also gathered as food for domestic rabbits. Kate Anne MacLellen, from North Uist, explained that in the past they would boil Cow tang (Pelvetia canaliculata), a seaweed, in large pots with potatoes, ears of corn and sometimes oatmeal. “If you had a cow that calved, it would leave the milk rich and more abundant as well. They also used to give it to the young beasts, and they would get this lovely sheen off their coats.”

During the project we will be collecting data through websites, letters to local newspapers, agricultural and veterinary communications and subsequent interviews of knowledgeable people. We need to record this information, which forms part of the traditional rural culture, before it is lost.

This knowledge could also be used practically in animal management (livestock, pets) to improve their health and the economy. Over-use of antibiotics in veterinary use, for example, can generate antibiotic resistance in bacteria. Finding new plant-based treatments could also help support Soil Association Organic Standards, which restrict the use of antibiotics and chemically synthesised veterinary medicinal products for preventive treatments. Some companies in Britain are already supplying plant-based treatments for animals, including Nettle (Urtica dioica), Plantain (Plantago major), Eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis), Elderflower (Sambucus nigra) and Thyme (Thymus spp.).

If you have any information about ethnoveterinary medicines, feed supplements or other information relating to plants/fungi and animal health from the British Isles, please contribute by sending an email to ethnovet@kew.org, or replying here. Or alternatively, write to William Milliken, Royal Botanic Gardens Kew, Wakehurst Place, Ardingly, RH17 6TN.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have had to hand graze two horses after either General anaesthetic or days of heavy medication and sedation. We have a particularly abundant verge as we arec in the Peak Park and it is not routinely mowed. It was clear that both horses made a beeline for both plantain and dandelion for a week after coming home and then stopped eating it. I figured they were detoxifying.

I have a lot of red sorrel, also called sheep sorrel, on my field, a wild hill meadow. It is reported to be a natural sheep dewormer.

I had a recent concern over whether a pony would turn out to have Cushing's. Since the treatment for this is pergolide, a dopamine agonist, I researched other dopamine agonists. There are at least two natural ones, Mucuna and Rhodiola. Mucuna has been tested in humans for its effects with Parkinson's and I also found a Dutch study showing it to be effective for Cushing's in horses.

I found the contents of the anti sarcoid supplement Sarc-ex very interesting when I researched them. It contains a number of plant derived things which are known either anecdotally or after testing for tumour suppression and or strengthened immune response.

I supplement Agnus Castus to a pony with very strong in season behaviour. When the person who loaned her recently let it run out and stopped it precipitately the pony came very strongly into season, stopped coat shedding and crashed into sudden laminitis. Back on Agnus Castus she was back out at grass with no sign of laminitis after a week, shed the rest of her coat in three days and her next season was much quieter.

You're working in a fascinating area!

I hope that's the sort of thing you are looking for?

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Very fascinating area. I use two herbalists and I'll PM you their details later. One is a little reticent about publicity because she has some issues with people saying she was making "medical claims" about her herbal mixes.

ozpoz

Visit site
Gorse - a sprig in the stable for horses who have lost their appetite. I haven't tried this - all my horses have been hoovers.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Gorse for appetite? Old British/Irish horse lore, been around a couple of centuries.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Gorse was feed to horses who where not well routinely when I was a child ( Northumberland ) they gave the young green tips .
It’s was also supposed to tempt horses with grass sickness to eat .