Etiquette on Hacks

_April_

Visit site
I'm trying to help a friend organise a xmas hack for her riding club and we thought it would be a good idea to include a list of 'Hacking Etiquette'.

So far I've got the usual about gates, litter etc And also trying to word something about making sure everyone is ready before galloping off, this being a particular problem on their last ride!

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks xx

_April_

Visit site
Oh yes! I think it's in a forestry track but it doesn't hurt to wear reflectives incase of cyclists I guess. thanks

Naggette

Visit site
Not really Etiquette but safety, take the time to look on Ordnance Survey website for your route, and put the grid reference of one or two points onto a card and put in your pockets, or into mobile phones. Very handy if accident should occur - hopefully NOT

Good to have an appointed responsible leader and back marker to keep things together.

Don't ride on any 'cut grass' verges and always walk quietly past pedestrians.

A 'Hello' to those you pass will show you are human (not all horse riders appear that way)

:O)

tinker512

Visit site
Keep distance from other horses....

Know your horse...know whether horse preferres front/back/middle/not bothered to cause minimal trouble

teapot

Visit site
Coming back to a walk if you meet walkers, other riders etc - always ask if you can pass, or should you wait

Sticking to designated bridleways, outskirts of fields, not cutting up crops etc

vivhewe

Visit site
Tell everyone to remember to smile and enjoy themselves or they are banned from all future events
grin.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Lots of tinsel etc to be worn? Prize for most festively dressed horse and rider/

Oh, and seriously, the usual ribbons for kickers, I'm sure that was at the top of your list.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I would make sure yuor very clear on any shouting! I mean if some ones come/see some thing/ something happens or even poo stop and person calls to others the rest need to be able to hear, understand, and react proply. I have a broken ankle because of when the rider behind horse bolted she shouted, i only heard a mubble looked behind see her galloping i thought she was in control if i had known... who knows what might of been saved. I would also have some were to met if the group splits etc or all have phones.. but then there recps etc!

happyhack

Visit site
everybody should carry a slip of paper with a contact name and number on should something happen as well as any allergies etc in case they need to go to hospital