Europeans cross country thread

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Anyone watching it? It's live on red button.

Watching a small Swiss lady on a grey (wish they'd have names showing as they're on) go round. Horse slipping a lot and seems to be taking her round!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think his horse just didn't see it all and got a bit baffled.

He's had another 20 penalties somewhere else. Poor Oli! Horse doesn't look quite with him today.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
The commentator doesn't seem to have any idea about the sport. How do people get these jobs! I know peole like Harry, but I find his voice so dull.

Custard Cream

Visit site
Commentator is Adam Cromerty - I think he's asking questions that maybe those who don't follow the sport would like to ask on purpose - he's trying to make is accessible to those who aren't horsey I think. Really important for the sport to become more accessible to the general public.

From Adam's website....he's very much horsey ;-)
-------
With Adam's broadcast background and the wealth of equestrian knowledge, that he has gathered since starting to ride at the age of three, it's no surprise that Adam has become a sought after host and commentator of equestrian programming.
​
As a qualified instructor and international judge, Adam asks the right questions and makes any audience feel like they are a part of the sport. His unique style has led him to be called on by both events and TV stations around the world.
​
Adam's production company, Impact Media, has produced programming for Sky Sports and has had footage used by both the BBC and ITV. Impact Media also reguarly advises equestrian events on media related issues.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks for that, because the to will stop right in the middle of Gemma's round!

I'm watching this thinking its a funny sport. I actually don't think it should be a team sport (saying that as a massive eventing fan too!). It doesn't seem fair that info can be fed back to later riders - that they know Oli nearly made the time despite two stops, so longer routes are possible, that they can see where previous faults have been, that they can get advice from team managers - it's not a level playing field (and yes I know all teams have the same access to info).

teapot

Visit site
Commentator is Adam Cromerty - I think he's asking questions that maybe those who don't follow the sport would like to ask - he's trying to make is accessible to those who aren't horsey I think. Really important for the sport to become more accessible to the general public.

Whacking it on the red button isn't that accessible though...

teapot

Visit site

I'm watching this thinking its a funny sport. I actually don't think it should be a team sport (saying that as a massive eventing fan too!). It doesn't seem fair that info can be fed back to later riders - that they know Oli nearly made the time despite two stops, so longer routes are possible, that they can see where previous faults have been, that they can get advice from team managers - it's not a level playing field (and yes I know all teams have the same access to info).

The answer to that though is despite OT going out blind and having issues, he still wins a medal if the other three go well. You could argue that those who go in the final 10 at Badminton go out with far more info/advice than those who go in the first 10.

frostyfingers

Visit site
I think he's actually a pretty good commentator, in tandem with Harry Meade - he's asking what to an insider is an obvious question but to anyone who is unfamiliar with the competition is helpful, and Harry is good at explaining without being too technical. It doesn't look an easy course, they can't really seem to get into much of a rhythm with all that turning, and a fair number seem to be slipping about.

caladria

Visit site

Not only missing off the best British individual medal hope in Gemma, but all the final team riders including Michael Jung. Not that any of that is sort of important or anything, no let's sit around and talk about what might happen in football matches that mostly won't finish til after 5!!

And eh, it doesn't seem that different to these riders being drawn 1st vs last at a big event in terms of being able to see how the course rides and have a chat with people that have already gone round. The sports where there's conflict for the athlete because they're trying to perform as an individual and part of a team always adds an extra to it, even if we don't see it as much in eventing as we do in something like the no. 2 drivers in F1... I would say today that Gemma is going to be glad that she's not in the team - she's not going to be asked to throw her medal chances away for a nice steady clear after Oli's refusals, and she's free to just go for it.

teapot

Visit site
Hahaha sorry, I just think Eventing's got bigger issues at the moment, especially with the FEI changes. I also now work for a BE judge so hear a bit more from the other side ;)

Commentary wise - it needs another person I think to make up the somewhat monotonous conversation

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hahaha sorry, I just think Eventing's got bigger issues at the moment, especially with the FEI changes. I also now work for a BE judge so hear a bit more from the other side ;)

Commentary wise - it needs another person I think to make up the somewhat monotonous conversation

I have always enjoyed Steve Hadley commentating. I like to hear how the horses are bred and a little bit of history about them. I do agree that the 'outside viewer has to be catered for, but with it on the red button I wonder how many 'random' viewers this mornings sport will actually attract.

You have to have an interest to go searching for the TV coverage when it is hidden away.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Not only missing off the best British individual medal hope in Gemma, but all the final team riders including Michael Jung. Not that any of that is sort of important or anything, no let's sit around and talk about what might happen in football matches that mostly won't finish til after 5!!

And eh, it doesn't seem that different to these riders being drawn 1st vs last at a big event in terms of being able to see how the course rides and have a chat with people that have already gone round. The sports where there's conflict for the athlete because they're trying to perform as an individual and part of a team always adds an extra to it, even if we don't see it as much in eventing as we do in something like the no. 2 drivers in F1... I would say today that Gemma is going to be glad that she's not in the team - she's not going to be asked to throw her medal chances away for a nice steady clear after Oli's refusals, and she's free to just go for it.

No you're right, it's unfair in the individuals too. Perhaps they should be banned from seeing info/watching previous rounds too and info only allowed to be passed on if a safety issue.

I think it needs some tweaking as a team sport, if it is to stay. And that's from someone who has been watching it for 40+ years.

I actually have warmed to the commentator, he does know his stuff, and he's a change from Harry's endless waffling. He doesn't commentate, it's like he's giving a lesson. Interesting to some extent, but a bit too much when it's all the time.