Euthanasia c*ck up update

Vindaloo

Visit site
Some of you may remember a post from me a while ago about the problems I had with my elderly horse being PTS by injection and then eventually having to be shot.

I had so many responses and kind words I was totally overwhelmed. It was a great comfort to me at such a difficult time and I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Just in case you would like to know the outcome. I wrote a letter to the surgery and got a fairly long one back explaining that veins in old horses can be fragile and even experienced vets can have problems. It was agreed that this was an awful thing to have happened but that it was just one of those things.

Apparently it is not normal procedure to carry a gun so it was unavoidable that I had to wait for one to be organised.

£100 was taken off of my bill in recognition of the trauma my horse and I went through and the letter really was an apology, if not an acceptance of incompetence.

Ah, well. I guess we all live and learn but one thing is for sure. Given the opportunity I would have any horse PTS with a gun in future and not the injection.

Thank you all again. xx

squirtlysmum

Visit site
My heart really goes out to you, likewise I would not opt for injection after my mare fought like hell after injection and only stopped fighting when I held her head in my arms, this haunts me every day and it was in 2005.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It's good to hear the outcome, and that you received an apology - which I guess is the most important thing ultimately.

It's just a shame that they didn't warn you about the possible complications prior to injecting your little horse.

An awful thing to have happened.

vicster

Visit site
I'm really sorry for your loss i had to have my old boy PTS 3 years ago now and it was such a dreadful decision to have to make he was the loce of my life and i will never forget him the thing is i couldn't be there when they did - i just couldn not stand there and watch him die so i left him at the vets. The thing is i often wonder whether everything went smoothly - the thing i will never know but it just comes in my mind sometimes, the thing is at least they are not in pain anymore. I don't know what i would be like if that happened to me - your very brave xxxxx

The Original Kao

Visit site
its bad enough having to have an animal PTS without having things go wrong. glad u got an apology, which i'm sure is worth more than the bill reduction to u. and hopefully u'll never have to go through anything like this again.
i have thankfully never had to be there when a horse is PTS. i think most prefer injection cause its less painful to watch. rather than actually being a quicker death. and hopefully ure story will help others from having to go through a repeat of the c*ck up u and ure poor horse had to suffer.

Vindaloo

Visit site
To be fair poor old Moo went down in the stable so him being PTS wasn't planned. At the time I was just concerned that he was suffering and wanted to end it for him as quickly as possible.
The vet didn't have a gun so the injection really was the only option.
My major concern was that this could never happen again and I needed to know he didn't suffer. The vet did a lot to reassure me on that front in the letter.
Ah well, there's the end to it I guess. Now my youngster's lame....
You have to keep smiling don't you. x

Tia

Visit site
Well at least they have admitted some sort of responsibility. I suppose that's the best you could have hoped for. Still awful though
frown.gif

KJJ

Visit site
Aww at least you have an apology...

Sorry if I'm incorrect, my memory is rubbish, but did you not say a friend of a friends horse had the same problem with the injection adminstered by the same vet? Was that horse old?

Vindaloo

Visit site
Yep, my friend at my last yard had exactly the same problem with the same vet. The horse was 22 I think so elderly. It had colic so again it wasn't a planned euthanasia.
Her horse didn't need to be shot though, it did eventually pass away. The problem was in getting the injection into the vein again.

Joules

Visit site
Blimey really sorry to hear about that!!

I have heard of euthanasia going wrong in the past! Still wouldnt like to imagine what you went thro!

22's not old - my horse is 21 this year and still doing BSJA!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Glad you got an apology.

I cant even begin to imagine how awful it must of been with you but at least you know he is at peace now and the vets have admitted fault to some extent.

Lets hope they will be more careful in future and your letter has saved someone elses horses going through the same thing.