Evasion or something wrong?

Jemayni

Visit site
My little pony, who has a very chunky neck and is a bit of a hot-head is really starting to cause me concern. For the last few months whenever I work him in, before he is properlly "on the bit" he works in a really tight "head in the right place but not actually engaged outline." When he is doing this his breathing is really raspy - almost like a growl, however as soon as he softens and engages it goes.

So do we think he is evading the bit and doing something funky with his tongue which is obstructing his windpipe? Or has he got something really wrong with him? Any other ideas? Im thinking about getting the vet to have a look when he does his teeth next month?

Judie

Visit site
I am not a vet so this is not a medical response, however horses/ponies can, when tense, hold their breathe for short periods and then let it go and it can come out raspy (technical term I'm sure!). If your chap relaxes and starts to work properly and the breathing returns to normal I would suggest thinking about your warm up routine and what is making him so tense, and short in the frame:

* Did you finish on a relaxed note the last time you worked him?
* Are you walking on a long rein to begin with?
* Are you asking him to warm up too quickly
* Try a few circles on the lunge before you get on and listen to the breathing before you're on board, if it's ok but starts getting 'raspy' when you get on, you'll have to really think hard about what you're doing

I would think the vet would ask you some of these questions so it may be worth thinking about them before you call him out.

If you're unsure of some of the answers let us know what your warm-up routine is and we can then offer some further help.

Jemayni

Visit site
Thats really interesting I've never heard of it.

I always do 10-15 work on a loose rein before I use any real contact, so in one sense he is warmed up. However he was badly schooled as a youngster (by myself, hands up) so doesn't have any concept of working long and low, eventually working into a shorter frame once he is really working. He starts out very tense and short and then eventually puts his head down and actually works.

I do all always finish him on a positive note, that is one of my big things! But he is a right little stress head, so is naturaly very tense anyway.

I will try the lunging thing, it wasn't something I had thought of, but is definitly a good way to check if its my fault!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Echo the above. also if the pony is very tense throughout, it will also stiffen through the poll, jaw and jowl making it very hard to breath properly as it restricts the airways. By checking absolutely everything you can think of that could be making him tense you may identify the reason for this. ie, Is he slightly cold backed and tenses because of this until he is fully warmed up? if so check the back and saddle and /or do lots of warm up excersises to relax and supple him up and massage the area after being ridden to release any toxins ect. Just work consistently to get him to go long and low until it becomes his natural response when first mounted. this may mean you took him back to basics.
I have this theory that if this tension continues the larynx may tighten and paralyse/cramp on one or the other side, and may affect the breathing.

hope that helps
Dawn

Judie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
However he was badly schooled as a youngster (by myself, hands up)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done for, one for acknowledging you didn't school him as best you could and secondly admitting it - good for you.

There I would suspect lies your answer, you will have to rebuild that trust, respect and relationship between the two of you, but all is not lost so don't worry about it.

Don't know whether you compete or anything but I would use the winter to really think about starting all over again with him. Treat him as a youngster and build that trust back up now you are more mature and in a better position to educate him. Think about, as said above, does his tack fit him? What bit are you using, etc, etc, perhaps at this stage a bit of an MOT wouldn't hurt anyway, get his back, teeth and all that checked and then start your return with him.

It will be immensley rewarding if at the end of the winter you have a relaxed happy chappy you can go out and have loads of fun on and above all, a true partnership.

Can we have some piccies of him, you can do and now and after shoot?
laugh.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
Thankyou guys. He doesn't really compete much anyway, he really is nervous and panics show jumping so he doesnt do it out, we do a fair bit of dressage, xc and hunting, and my mum does loads of pleasure riding with him which he is quite handy at really.

His tack is fine he goes in a eggbutt snaffle and hates anything else, his saddle/back/teeth are all fine too.

I'll have a play over the next few weeks and see where I get, I will try and do some piccies but currently without a working mobile phone, so it might be a while!

Thankyou for your help!