Even the nicest of stallions can be nasty...

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Cazcrazyjonty has just learned never to trust a stallion completely, sadly, the hard way.
Chocolate is a sweet horse to handle, has lifted a leg occasionally in a sort of threat but never nipped in all the time we've had him. Any misbehaviour takes the form of lots of noise and the odd leap and rear.
Today his paddock was sprayed for bracken so he has had to stay inside instead of going out for the day.
CCJ was tonight in the corridor in front of his box bending down filling haynets when he appeared over the door, picked her up in his teeth by her side at hip level and threw her to the floor.
I heard screams and her shouting and we ran to see what was going on, by this time she was swearing blue murder at him and he was hiding in the back of his box. I went in to see if he would have a go at me but of course the devil by this time realised he was in big trouble and stayed away...
Her back is a massive bruise, the skin is broken and it's bleeding a little, and boy is it going to look spectacular tomorrow. She is muttering how much she now dislikes him and will never trust him again, but having grown up with both stallions she has never really taken on board that on occasions they can be horrible!
P and I are always very aware that they are stallions, Bert has knocked me flying many a time but never attempted to bite me, he has however bitten P on the leg and picked him up by the chest breaking the skin.
I tend to warn them automatically to behave without realising I do it, whereas CCj treats both like ordinary horses.
Not any more, a tough lesson to learn but better to respect them and be aware though preferably without getting a bite like this one..ouch, it's about 8" accross and the same deep with teeth marks!
She may allow me to take a pic, when I asked just now I can't print what the reply was! (she's sitting with an ice pack and loads of aloe gel on it)

GTs

Visit site
I do not think this is just stallions any horse can be like it - I have never found stallions difficult to manage. Probably because most of them were sick, when I was around them.

Weezy

Visit site
Ouch ouch ouch - not a nice experience at all
frown.gif
I wont turn my back on any horse - I just feel far too vunerable

Ginn

Visit site
Oww, Ouchie! Thats gotta hurt! Sadly horses will be horses no matter how much we try to domesticate them.

*Hugs* to ccj.

Prudence

Visit site
Indeed a very hard lesson learnt, but as you say a valuable one. It is not good at all to become to blase with any horse, regardless of the sex.

allijudd

Visit site
ouch what a lesson to hurt...just out of interest she hasnt changed the way she smells ie changed her deodorant or soap or even your soap powder...i always used to use lilly of the valley from crabtree and evelyn but after repeated probelms with an over amorous dartmoor stallion had to change....

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Ouch!!
Tho nothing to the timing of the nip the colt at work gave me about a month ago!
Riding back from the gallops, with a new jockey riding out with me, i jumped off to type the security code into the gate, while i was waiting for the gate to open, the guy asked me what i thought of the colt, i turned round to face him and said "yeah, he seems really sweet" the second i said the word 'sweet' be bit me on the arm!! needless to say, he got a fist on the nose haha!!
Lucky mine was only a small nip!!
Bet you'll get some good pics of Caz bruse tho
wink.gif
smile.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Nasty...poor Caz, that is going to be one spectacular bruise tomorrow and very, very sore.

You really cant afford to be off guard with any horse. I got a bite on the arm tonight from the mildest mannered chap...that'll teach me to praise his canter work when he came in from the arena!

Having been attacked in the stable by a mares teeth many years ago I cant begin to imagine the sort of state a stallion could put you in.

Id send hugs but I suspect they would be a bit painful at the moment.

Parkranger

Visit site
Ow poor thing.

Makes me realise that I can be complacent sometimes and Ty plays with my hair while I'm putting hoof oil on or doing anything bent over.....makes me realise how silly that is as he could easily take a chunk out of me.....