Event or Jump Saddles?

jm2k

Visit site
What do you prefer if doing courses up to 1m for jumping, and for XC / HT etc?
Looking to get a new one for my lad but unsure if a jumping saddle will be secure enough for XC or an event saddle will be forward cut enough for SJ?

On a budget (under £1k new/used) so need to get it right first time :-(

Ive long legs and riding a compact pony so think the jump may offer more forward cut scope for my knees but then worry for stability around a xc course

be positive

Visit site
You really need to try a few, most people ride shorter xc than sj so you need to be able to get the stirrups short enough to be stable while still fitting the pony correctly, the modern close contact saddles are more than suitable for both phases, the term event or jump saddle seem to be a bit muddled nowadays, the event saddle was more of a gp originally that could also be used for dressage yet had enough knee roll for jumping now it seems to be a term more generally, some are described as event/ jumping saddles.
Having the opportunity to try several will give you the best idea, we had a saddler out with a selection last time we were looking and until the rider jumped it was difficult to decide which was best, what suits one rider and horse does not suit the next.

PorkChop

Visit site
As long as you can put your stirrups up short enough it doesn't matter if it fits you both - I use a flat seated close contact jumping saddle for both sj and xc :)