Eventful Ride

StephBiscuit

Visit site
On thursdays I help out at my local riding school (saltburn) all day and in return I get a free beach ride. This thursday I was riding my favourite pony - a 13.2hh dun Highland gelding called Biscuit. He is really friendly and loves his cuddles but can be very spooky when ridden. This thursday it was quite windy aswell as being bin day and loads of tin cans, carrier bags, blue newspaper recycling bags and the green box for bottles were blowing about. Biscuit freaked out at a coke can that was rolling towards him and spun round and I nearly ended up flying over his shoulder but managed to stay on. A plastic bag the blew round the corner and flew straight under Zippy's legs (livery horse) and he spun round scaring Henry and Biscuit so we spun round again. Near the back of the ride a blue bag blew int Billy's face and he spooked and the work experience girl fell off. One of the liverys had to get off and move a grren box that was being blown towards the horses.
Luckily nothing happened again until we got onto the beach but as we were setting off for our first canter me and Biscuit got chased by another plastic bag and he galloped off a bit. Luckily, the bag got blown into the sea and I got Biscuit back into a normal canter. The rest of the ride was as calm as normal, although we got soaked by a sudden downpour on the way back and it felt like we were going to get blown off the ponies because of the wind.
All in all Biscuit was really well behaved and we had some great canters - I love that pony to bits.

Daphnelia

Visit site
Wow well done for staying on! Thats why I don't ride on windy days, too much of a wuss
wink.gif

apkelly01

Visit site
Aw sounds like even with what happened you had a great time
smile.gif
I thought it funny when you said the plastic bag was chasing him
smile.gif
Although it sad with amount or rubbish hanging about have these people never heard of recycling!
frown.gif

Any pics of him?

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Good on you for staying on, riding in the wind can be very eventfull!! We rode out on Thursday and Friday morning and luckily we were ok but its a nightmare when things are blowing all around. Glad you had a good ride though

Welcome to the forum
grin.gif

Nickijem

Visit site
Don't you just get days like that! Sometimes it seems as though everything is out to get you!
Me and my friend were hacking out in the summer and met a steam roller, a combine harvester, off-road scramblers and a steam powered car - all in the space of about 3 miles!!

StephBiscuit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aw sounds like even with what happened you had a great time
smile.gif
I thought it funny when you said the plastic bag was chasing him
smile.gif
Although it sad with amount or rubbish hanging about have these people never heard of recycling!
frown.gif

Any pics of him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at the moment - will try to on wed/thurs!!