Eventing - 2 horses same class?

mil1212

Visit site
I have done 2 events with 2 horses in the same classs (BE90). In the first one, my times were lovely, I completed with one horse first, then the other and I had 1 hour between everything. Then at Kelsall, my times were all over the place and I swopped horses all day, having 20 minutes in between xc and sj times :confused:
So, what is the norm? How many of you compete 2 horses in a day in the same class at an event, and what sort of times do you get?
The next event I have entered is my most local, so I decied to enter them on separate days, so obviously, I am almost last to go on one on the Saturday, and first to go on the other on the Sunday :rolleyes:
Not sure what is the best way to go, as I don't have a groom.

Gamebird

Visit site
It really doesn't bother me what they do as I'm fairly quick at swapping them over and I only have one martingale/saddle etc. for both anyway so wouldn't make a lot of difference whether I had a groom or not.

Quite often they give you dressage on horse A then horse B, then SJ and XC on horse A followed by SJ and XC on horse B. I find that ideal as it minimises swapping over and warming up times.

Generally they're quite happy for multiple riders to slot in wherever so long as you do your dressage on time so if things are a bit awkward (eg. when the phases are a long way from each other) I often rejig the times so they fit the format above. Once I was held on the XC for a prolonged period when I should have been SJing another horse and they were quite happy to wait for me (not that they had a lot of choice!).

I would always take two on the same day out of preference. Don't let it stress you too much, take your time and chill a bit - it generally all works out in the end :).

Gamebird

Visit site
I forgot to add - be mega-organised.

- have two number bibs, one for each horse
- have times written up and pinned up somewhere obvious so you can keep a check on where you're going next and with which horse.
- I have a trailer, not a lorry, so I make sure I leave the empty side ready to re-load the horse straight into. I never leave a horse tied to the outside whilst I'm competing the other (you could be held on course for an hour!!!), always have them securely inside.
- on arrival I stud both up and do hoof oil and quarter marks if possible so that doesn't get missed if I end up short of time.
- I have all boots etc. laid out in the order I'm going to use them,
- I have saddlecloths packed in the order they'll be needed, once used they go onto a 'dirty' pile.
- I have a bridle rack that I hang on the outside of the trailer with bridles/breastplate, bit changes etc. in the order they'll be needed.
- on arrival I fill drinking buckets/wash buckets and put cool boots in to soak.

I thrive on being busy and much prefer having more than one horse to do. Actually it slows me down if I have a groom because things end up in the wrong place or order!

Saratoga

Visit site

- have times written up and pinned up somewhere obvious so you can keep a check on where you're going next and with which horse.
- I have a trailer, not a lorry, so I make sure I leave the empty side ready to re-load the horse straight into. I never leave a horse tied to the outside whilst I'm competing the other (you could be held on course for an hour!!!), always have them securely inside.
- on arrival I stud both up and do hoof oil and quarter marks if possible so that doesn't get missed if I end up short of time.
- I have all boots etc. laid out in the order I'm going to use them,
- I have saddlecloths packed in the order they'll be needed, once used they go onto a 'dirty' pile.
- I have a bridle rack that I hang on the outside of the trailer with bridles/breastplate, bit changes etc. in the order they'll be needed.
- on arrival I fill drinking buckets/wash buckets and put cool boots in to soak.

I thrive on being busy and much prefer having more than one horse to do. Actually it slows me down if I have a groom because things end up in the wrong place or order!
Can you come and groom for me??! :D :hail:

mil1212

Visit site
Quite often they give you dressage on horse A then horse B, then SJ and XC on horse A followed by SJ and XC on horse B. I find that ideal as it minimises swapping over and warming up times.

I think that would be ideal, haven't had my times like that yet :rolleyes:

Realised this - just got another one

I think this is where a trailer is handy, I have a lorry so have to rely on someone holding one whilst I swop them round, and they can be a pain to load/ stand on lorry :rolleyes:

Thank you for taking the time to respond Gamebird, very useful ideas

Can you come and groom for me??! :D :hail:

Me too :D

I think the last time I evented 2 there were fewer classes so only one class run in a day, I assume times were easier, either that or I was quicker changing over when I were younger :D

Gamebird

Visit site
No worries, eventing is a breeze compared to having both in the same BSJA classes when there's only 10 or 12 horses in the class, your box is at the back of the carpark and both horses share the same saddle :rolleyes:.

keysoe

Visit site
I think for most events they will take care that your dressage fits, and that there is time for you in the jumping phases, then let you slot in. Certainly when I do out times, the SJ and XC for multiple riders is a bit scruffy with the intention that they chose how to swap those horses around between imoveable dressage times