Eventing and 3.5t lorry

Matafleur

Visit site
Sorry, sorry, I know this has been done to death a bit but I was just wondering if anyone evented with a 3.5 ton box and how you found it?

Do you have enough payload for your (one) horse and all your kit/water/hay etc, so 2 sets of tack, numerous sets of boots and all the other rubbish I seem to find necessary to go eventing?!

Do you get stuck as soon as it is even slightly muddy or slippy?

Is the box too low for any sort of rutted track or does it cope ok?

I currently use a trailer and our trusty 4x4 has towed us out of the virtual plough without the aid of a tractor before and I did enjoy the smug feeling. But our 4x4 is now old and tired and costing a bomb to run and get through it's MOT and I'm half thinking about changing to a 3.5t box. Has anyone done the same and have you regretted it? I also share our 4x4 with my farmer husband and I dream of not having to clean out wet, mouldy barley before I can put my tack in (and that's on a good day!!).

I'd be travelling one lightweight 16.1hh, me, my toddler, possibly another adult on occassion and all the associated equipment needed for the above! I may also need to travel my horse and our small (10hh) pony but would have no equipment in then.

Ideas and advice welcomed :)

Horsemad12

Visit site
I changed from a trailer to 3.5t lorry 2 years ago and I love it!!!!!

TBH I tend only to take what I need but generally if you pick a good one the payload is fine for one horse.

I have an external tack locker, wardrobe with door and storage over the luton. Had to be towed on and off oasby last year as did every other lorry but other than that been fine.

Just make sure you have the towing eye available and that it has not been lost!

gunnergundog

Visit site
I think for a lot of 3.5 ton lorries you COULD be pushing it to the max for your eventing scenario. Horse (550), two humans (63 & 80......assuming one is male!), toddler plus attendant clobber (25), diesel (100), water (25), tack (25) PLUS rugs, first aid, body protector, jackets, hat, change of clothes if wet, grooming kit, first aid kit, hay, wet weather gear etc etc. The above that I've given guesstimated weights for comes to 868......then there's the other stuff, so I think you could easily hit 900kg. Many 3,5tonnners have a carrying capacity of less than 900 .......also, do you really want to take your vehicle to the max???

I guess it's possible, I would just say be very careful.

Matafleur

Visit site
I changed from a trailer to 3.5t lorry 2 years ago and I love it!!!!!

TBH I tend only to take what I need but generally if you pick a good one the payload is fine for one horse.

I have an external tack locker, wardrobe with door and storage over the luton. Had to be towed on and off oasby last year as did every other lorry but other than that been fine.

Just make sure you have the towing eye available and that it has not been lost!

Good news! I would want a fair bit of storage if possible but I am aware of their limitations. Do you find it ok if the ground is a bit rutted? I'm worried about how low they sit as obviously great for stability but you'd want to see our farm track...

Matafleur

Visit site
I think for a lot of 3.5 ton lorries you COULD be pushing it to the max for your eventing scenario. Horse (550), two humans (63 & 80......assuming one is male!), toddler plus attendant clobber (25), diesel (100), water (25), tack (25) PLUS rugs, first aid, body protector, jackets, hat, change of clothes if wet, grooming kit, first aid kit, hay, wet weather gear etc etc. The above that I've given guesstimated weights for comes to 868......then there's the other stuff, so I think you could easily hit 900kg. Many 3,5tonnners have a carrying capacity of less than 900 .......also, do you really want to take your vehicle to the max???

I guess it's possible, I would just say be very careful.

Hmmm, good points and a useful estimate on weights too as I don't really have a clue! In fairness, if I'm going eventing then it's likely to be just me, no passengers! And it is very rare that I have anyone to come with me anyway, usually it's me, toddler and horse and then if I'm lucky I can persuade my parents to meet me at venue. But then I do seem to end up with a fair bit of stuff...

I would hope to get 1100 payload (especially without diesel) and would have to think again if this wasn't possible.

rotters13

Visit site
You could definitely get a payload of more than 900kg. Marlborough hunter is 1150 and can add on extra 150 by paying for lightweight panels.
Bloomsfield horse boxes have payload of 1.2
Boss "stumpy" has payload of 1.3
Grays Nimbus II has payload of 1.2.

You're laughing with one horse! Quick point: without being rude aren't you old enough to drive a 7.5 ton? In which case you could get a 3.9 horse box. Same size as 3.5 but extra payload. Does have to be plated as opposed to MOTed however.

avthechav

Visit site
Quick point: without being rude aren't you old enough to drive a 7.5 ton? In which case you could get a 3.9 horse box. Same size as 3.5 but extra payload. Does have to be plated as opposed to MOTed however.

Ha!! to be honest Rotters I have always wondered if she is lying about her age... wouldnt surprise me if she was a good few years more than she claims :-D

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
We event from our 3.5t, bought it this time last year from new (well, a converted parcel force van.)

It's got a 1100 payload, we event to intermediate, and have never had issues with being overweight. It is seriously handy. We downsized from a 7.5t, and I much prefer out 3.5t - has a little bit of living for rainy days, and is so much easier for loading, parking and drives so much better.

I'd definitely say it's worth considering - and they hold their value well too, should you ever need to sell it on. I love ours, makes days out eventing seem much less stressful when it's muddy, hard to park, or if we ever need to go down a narrow road!

Matafleur

Visit site
Ha!! to be honest Rotters I have always wondered if she is lying about her age... wouldnt surprise me if she was a good few years more than she claims :-D

Rotters13, no not rude at all (unlike some people ;-) ), I'm not quite old enough and didn't take my driving test at 17 anyway. I took my trailer test not long after my driving test so that I could tow but I don't really have the time or inclination to do my C/C1 so 3.5t it is.

Thanks for the confirmation on weights though, that is a relief!

Matafleur

Visit site
We event from our 3.5t, bought it this time last year from new (well, a converted parcel force van.)

It's got a 1100 payload, we event to intermediate, and have never had issues with being overweight. It is seriously handy. We downsized from a 7.5t, and I much prefer out 3.5t - has a little bit of living for rainy days, and is so much easier for loading, parking and drives so much better.

I'd definitely say it's worth considering - and they hold their value well too, should you ever need to sell it on. I love ours, makes days out eventing seem much less stressful when it's muddy, hard to park, or if we ever need to go down a narrow road!

Thanks GM, that's really helpful - I hope your mare (Ruby?) is going well this season :)

Jnhuk

Visit site
For one horse, certainly worth considering. Do you have any local rental horsebox firms that has any you could try for weekend? There is quite a variation in quality so look at different makes before making your mind up!