Eventing, how often do you do it?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I took my young mare eventing for the first time yesterday and we both absolutely loved it! She made a few green errors, was very excitable, our dressage test got several 'explosive' in the comments, warming up for showjumping was a bit scary as she did fling herself around a lot, there were several bucks and a lot of charging off after fences although she was fortunately calmer when we actually got in the ring. Then cross country, which I had been worrying about particularly as she can be nappy and I wasn't sure how she'd take to leaving the other horses, however I need not have worried as she was awesome, she cantered round loving it, not napping at all. We had one green stop towards the end which was a shame but mainly my fault as I didn't ride onwards enough but I don't really care as she gave me a great feeling and I could feel her grow in confidence as we went around.

So obviously now I want to go again! I used to event on my other horse who is sadly now retired due to bad ringbone so it's been a few years since I've really been out competing much and yesterday made me realise how much I miss it. There are several one day events coming up near me I could do, there are about four over may and june, all about two weeks apart, I could do all of them but don't know if this is too much? My mare is reasonably fit, she's been hunting a few times over the winter and I won't be going for time to start with it's just more as a schooling exercise, to get her out seeing things and get her used to going away from the group (in the warm-up), etc. I say she's young, she's rising 8 but hasn't done a lot so a bit different from if she were a 4/5 year old. She's also fairly scopey, we did a BE80 level class yesterday, she can trot over that height if necessary and I'm sure once she's confident she'll find 90s and probably 100s fairly easy (I doubt I'll be braver to go much higher but it's nice to know she is capable). So just wondering how often other people event their horses, how long you give them off to recover in between comps etc. I don't want to overdo it.

star

Visit site
Every 2weeks. Only if the ground suits him as I always run him for the time so just withdraw if we're not liking the ground as he doesn't need the practice.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Currently every 4 weeks. Gives us time and pennies for lessons and xc schooling in between. I'd rather go knowing the homework is as done as possible

naza

Visit site
I probably do 2 a month? Ideally with a weekend i between but if not he will definetley only do 2 in a row with at least one weekend off after.
If he hAs a busy month one month the next month I will make sure he has an easier one after ie. One month if he had 3 comps the next he would only have one :) and then always time off at end of e season

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Thanks everyone, that sounds about right for what I was planning. There seem to be lots of events in May and June near me then hardly any in July and August so she can have those as easier months. Ditto it is expensive but I've been suffering from eventing withdrawal symptoms having hardly done any for two years so I am treating myself!

kassieg

Visit site
I'm about 2 a month depending what's on where as i only have car & trailer so wont travel over 2 hours 30

Llee94

Visit site
I just head out when there are any local BE events on which seems to be either once or twice a month. I have just had two events on consecutive weekends but I now won't head out again until Ponitspool which is on the 30th May so about a 5 week break. I think it does them good to have some time to think it over and they don't need to be over run.
I know some people who take theirs out every weekend and one even did two ODE's in the same weekend on the same horse at Novice height! That is just madness in my opinion.

kzb

Visit site
I try and go for two a month, although seem to be working out at one a month just due to what events are happening and what I can get off work. Not always a bad thing to save a bit of cash for lessons though!
You'll be fine doing those, sounds like she is fit enough!

naza

Visit site
Although I opted for 2 events a month above, the opportunity has now arisen for my to do 3 weekends in a row.. What are people's thoughts on this? Part of me wants to as the first weekend is SJ with 2 rounds 1 at 95 and 1 at 1m then the weekend after an eventers challenge at 100 and the following weekend a BE at 90. I have entered the BE and plan to do that as my last 90 before stepping up to 100 in June hence why I wanted to do the other 2 events as practise for 100 level but the other part of me is saying it's too much and by the BE he will be off the boil.?

be positive

Visit site
Although I opted for 2 events a month above, the opportunity has now arisen for my to do 3 weekends in a row.. What are people's thoughts on this? Part of me wants to as the first weekend is SJ with 2 rounds 1 at 95 and 1 at 1m then the weekend after an eventers challenge at 100 and the following weekend a BE at 90. I have entered the BE and plan to do that as my last 90 before stepping up to 100 in June hence why I wanted to do the other 2 events as practise for 100 level but the other part of me is saying it's too much and by the BE he will be off the boil.?

I don't think that is too much, as long as you do not need to jump at home too much between comps and you can give the horse a day or two off to recharge his batteries if required, as long as they are fit enough competing at 90/ 100 level should not be too strenuous.
As for going off the boil only you know your horse but for most competing is more interesting than schooling at home so many will be better for a few days out fairly close together, it is not as if they are all events, a spin round the eventers challenge sounds like good prep for moving up.

naza

Visit site
I only day over boil him as he can be quite hit and miss with his SJ in the sense that he will have a silly pole every now and again, I found this last summer when I was competiting and then a lesson in between he then didn't feel as enthusiastic to jump so now I don't jump him at home just at competitions and he feels like he's taking me into them again this is why I'm not sure