Eventing/Jumping after a Check Lig injury....

emmiec12

Visit site
I know I have aksed this before - but any new thoughts or updates are always good.

I am still dithering about competing my boy after his check injury....
tongue.gif
crazy.gif

Thought / Help please..... thanks (AGAIN)!!

chester1234

www.lkequestrian.com
Hey,

My 13.2 tore her entire check ligament out hunting new years day 2004. She was prescribed 3 months box rest, 6months off then a very slow programme getting her back in to work.

She was doing PC Small Open Teams [3"0-3"3] and the odd Large Open [3"3-3"6]. She was showjumping at 95/1.05, about to affiliated. She was doing small PC ode's, about 3", and hunter trials. She was basically your top end 13.2 PC Pony, about to affiliate [didn't due to injury]. That gives you an idea of what she was doing, and ready to do.

She came back to 2"6 courses max, gentle PC activities, hacking, the quiet life - nowhere near what she was. She has since gone lame in another leg, and has a 20% chance of coming back into work, and that would be walking straight lines. She is now sat in a paddock looking wild and fat
grin.gif
and she loves it. She's 16 or 17 now, she was about my age when we got her. She was probably 11 or 12 when she did her ligament.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's my experience of check ligament injury & the return from!

baleofhay

Visit site
I got loss of use payment on my sons showjumper with a check ligament injury. We bought him to jump bigger courses and although he can now jump and seems fine i do not think we would ever want to push him again. We sold him to a lovely dressage/hacking home and he is doing very well.

HairyHatMan

Visit site
S is still doing fine! Withdrew xc at Moreton Morrell as the ground was concrete and also lots of ridge & furrow to go across so I thought the combination of the 2 not worth the risk, but apart from that no probs at all
grin.gif

measles

Visit site
Our 13.2hh did a check ligament and we gave her a year and a half off to have a foal. Such a long rest isn't necessary of course but I think the longer you give them the better as she came back at 18yo to jumping 138 open classes (1.10/1.20cms) affiliated as if she'd never been away.