Eventing Mag - a waste of money!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have subscribed to Eventing Magazine for years. The season has kicked off, there is loads of cool stuff they could be doing and we get the mediocrity of Katie Price who freely admits her only connection with Eventing is promoting her tripe at Badminton. Even the photos of her are stock ones of her promoting stuff.

This is followed up by 6 eventers who hate shopping......umm what is the point? Another diabolical piece of journalism.

The Tried and tested drives me crazy - ever seen anything not earn 5 stars?

Could we also have a novice diarist who actually works out of an office rather than being self employed? All the diarists seem to be self employed or work funny shifts like postmen which enables them to have multiple horses. What about someone who works 9-5 and copes as the majority of us have to do?

The interesting stuff is so good (Jonelle Richards, Chris Bartle etc), the rubbish then brings the whole magazine down about 12 notches.

Thoughts?

Lolo

Visit site
I agree, I dislike the diarists on the whole because they aren't really appealing to 'every man'. I mean, they're interesting and everything but not working hours that are normal. It feels like they could have got a real range of people, but they didn't?

EventingMum

Visit site
I felt the same this month. Usually I enjoy reading it but this was a let down. I do enjoy Sam Watson's witty, tongue in cheek diary and enjoy being nosey in the Through the Keyhole as well as the more serious training articles but the Katie Price and Shopping Around articles do the magazine a disservice.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I do agree about the KP interview and the shopping thing.

I don't event but love the sport and so buy it because of that. However I think £4 is becoming alot of money for the quality of the content.

For example, the badminton preview issue should have I think alot more badminton related content than it actually does!!

kerilli

Visit site
This month's is a real disappointment, apart from Sam Watson's column which is always great. I like Through the Keyhole and the training pages look good too.
But the Belton report annoyed me, "Mark Todd plummeted from contention when NZB Regent Lad glanced off the first of two corners at the Gonalston Farm Shop Complex (20)".
That is very sloppy reporting. It was actually a skinny triple brush to a corner, and he glanced off at the brush. I know because I was about 40 yards away walking the course and saw it happen.
Whoever reported for them didn't bother to walk the course, or check and get their facts right. :( :(

teapot

Visit site
Cancelled my sub in January as the mag's half the thickness, twice the cost and lacking very little in the middle (saying that as an eventing follower waning reports etc)

georgiegirl

Visit site
No where round us stocks it (that I know of!) and theres no way I would pay the subscription fee but I do pick it up the odd times I come across it.

That said I feel the magazine is VERY overpriced for what it is. I would like to see more schooling/training articles. As well as horse management, competing hints and tips ect. And perhaps more usable features on event venues eg a set of course pictures from a featured event each month etc.

star

Visit site
Well I thought there was one corner of one page worth reading although they even got what class I won wrong! It's not the greatest mag in the world though for how much it costs.

Lolo

Visit site
What I'd like is fuller reports of events, not just focussing on Novice and above. I get why H&H does- eventing is only a small part of what it covers. But Eventing is all about eventing. So reporting across the levels more would be nice I think...

Gamebird

Visit site
Haven't read this month's, but I did apply to be the amateur diarist when they were looking. As someone who works 8.30 - 5.30 (minimum) plus every other night and weekend I am the ultimate fitter-in-er. I didn't even get get an acknowledgement :(. Luckily I now have a blog on the e-venting site to flaunt my not-so creative abilities!

Nicnac

Visit site
I only read it today and was gobsmacked by the KP article - wtf! The shopping article was pathetic. I could read FW's feelings about it through his words.

Very disappointing. I think I subscribed at Badminton some years ago as I got 2 very nice cooler rugs by subscribing :eek:

I think with the websites around now it's a waste of money and I am seriously thinking about stopping both eventing and H&H. I would however really miss Sam Watson's diary - maybe I'll wait until end of the season!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I used to subscribe years ago when I evented but cancelled it. Even then it annoyed me that the articles following "amateur" riders were so far removed from normal 9 - 5 workers. Sounds like it is gone completely downhill and become even more expensive too

SpottedCat

Visit site
If Sam Watson had his own blog I would cancel my subscription!

Me too! It was particularly banal this issue. I stopped reading the T&T bit aeons ago when it became apparent everything gets 4 or 5 stars and basically it's a bunch of people getting free stuff and saying they love it.

The Katie Price article was ridiculous - exactly which eventers have bought and loved her gold/silver boots because I just don't really believe anyone has!

And the shopping article was pointless. Just, why?!

It's a shame as I loved reading it, but it really has got very thin and was almost like they hadn't bothered this month! I normally love the pro rider's view of the Badminton course, but they didn't even bother with that this year, which was a shame.

jellybaby2

Visit site
i've subscribed for years used to devour it from cover to cover as soon as it landed on the door mat, now I flick through it and tend to not read very much at all.
Time to cancel the subscription perhaps?
JB

HazyXmas

Visit site
As other's have said, very overpriced & completely removed from most eventer's, ie the 'grass roots' lot :)

I cancelled my subscription in January & haven't missed it. Think i might cancel H&H as well.......

Daffodil

Visit site
I've subscribed to it from the start, and have kept all the back numbers, but this is the first month I have ever wondered what I am now paying for.
As you say the Katie Price article and the silly article on half a dozen eventers who hate shopping is simply a waste of paper. I was particularly irritated by the article on Belsay Castle constantly harping on about the non-existent connection with the Duchess of Cambridge, and the reference to Laura de Wesselow being "la-di-da" and other somewhat cringemaking phrases.

The standard is slipping badly at the moment. The editorial team will, I hope, up their game as the season progresses.

smurf

Visit site
Very interesting thread - I used to write for them but gave up due to total frustration with the 'formula' style reports I was told to write.
Cancelled subscription at same time

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am really so glad I am not the only one that is thinking this the last issue was cringe making the article on Belsay was awful and as for inflicting KP on us .
I put it down thinking perhaps eventings not really for me anymore.
I think in the past it was perhaps too serious but it's gone far to far the other way now .