Eventing team for WEG announced.

only_me

Visit site
I can’t believe that they have left oli off the team. He’s the world no.1 and has had brilliant results this year on 3 different horses.
Feels like a massive snub and insult from BE imo.

teapot

Visit site
I can’t believe that they have left oli off the team. He’s the world no.1 and has had brilliant results this year on 3 different horses.
Feels like a massive snub and insult from BE imo.

It's not BE, it's the BEF selectors. Ollie's past form in team comps isn't the best though.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
could it have something to do with his behaviour regarding cross country riding and the whip? it may teach him that no matter what the prize there is no excuse for horse abuse...,

only_me

Visit site
It's not BE, it's the BEF selectors. Ollie's past form in team comps isn't the best though.

Ok, BEF have snubbed him.
No one can even improve their form in team comps if they aren’t in that team - he produced the results this year and has reliable form individually

caladria

Visit site

Well, that was equally true last year and it didn't stop them then... and the horse they selected him with last year on the basis of top tens at CIC*** has a second at Badminton now, despite the two run outs at Strzegom.

If it was behaviour related I'd almost prefer it if the selectors came out and said it, to remind future potential riders what's expected of them.

But as it stands, there's three British riders who have podiums at 4* this year, and only one of them makes the team. (or 3 of the 5 with top ten placings at 4*). So if it is behaviour related, it's not obvious that it is. Especially because he was longlisted - I mean, if you're going to punish someone by not taking them, you don't waste longlist space on them!

If Quarrycrest Echo wasn't on the team, I'd wonder if they were only taking horses with multiple good runnings at 4* (Ballaghmor Class is the only multiple 4* runner of OT's longlisted and he fell XC at Aachen)... but Quarrycrest Echo only has one 4*.

teapot

Visit site
If it was behaviour related I'd almost prefer it if the selectors came out and said it, to remind future potential riders what's expected of them.

This is one of the selection criteria 'Demonstration of behaviour that indicates a commitment to a positive team environment both on and off the field of play'.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
There seems to be more discussion of who's not on the team than who's on it!! I'm not surprised about Ros Canter - she's been on consistent good form for a couple of years. Tina's form hasn't been great this season but she's got good pedigree at this level and more experience than the others.

popsdosh

Visit site
Ok, BEF have snubbed him.
No one can even improve their form in team comps if they aren’t in that team - he produced the results this year and has reliable form individually

It could be more to do with those within the selectors and previous! To be fair im sure Ollie would be first to admit hes not a team player and im sure wont be giving it a second thought.

On a more positive note it is nice to see a more balanced selection than those previously based on name alone. Im sure she wont thank me but Tina will make a great Nanny!

Last edited:

Fred66

Visit site
Personally I think this is too important to play games with, the team need to finish top 7 to qualify for the olympics and if they don't the whole sport will lose funding.

If he isn't perceived to be a team player then give him the individual place.

11.1 of the selection criteria states that except in exceptional circumstances then this section will outweigh any other criteria

TGM

Visit site
I think it is clear that the selectors did indeed know what they were doing! What great performances from all the GB riders, but particularly Ros Canter who did so well to to keep her cool and ride so well in that final showjumping round with so much pressure on her.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Personally I think this is too important to play games with, the team need to finish top 7 to qualify for the olympics and if they don't the whole sport will lose funding.

No problem there then :D

I hope this is a wake up call for Townend and the end of warnings for abuse of his horses on course. Clearly, it's not necessary in order to win.

Velcrobum

Visit site

If he isn't perceived to be a team player then give him the individual place.

11.1 of the selection criteria states that except in exceptional circumstances then this section will outweigh any other criteria

I think the reason he was not given the individual place was they wanted the experience of Tina to support the younger "team inexperienced" riders.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think it shows there is a great depth of talent for the selectors to choose from, which is an excellent position to be in two years away from an Olympics.

I'm personally delighted for the Irish silver though.

CoachinaCar

Visit site
I am not sure it is a case of whether or not they needed Olly, for me it is more a case of should selection to a team be based on results or should it be selectors gut feeling as to who should be selected.

I have not seen Eventing selection policy but I presume it must be worded in a way that allowed them to leave out one of Britains most successful riders.

I am not an Olly fan after Badminton but I am not comfortable that it is right to be able to ignore rider results in selection.

lannerch

Visit site
And no they didn’t need olly for the gold but he would have been nice to have the silver as well as the gold in the individual. ( was happy for Padraig though ).
And if the Germans had gone as well as predicted we may well have needed him in the team as well.

Last edited:

conniegirl

Visit site
I am not sure it is a case of whether or not they needed Olly, for me it is more a case of should selection to a team be based on results or should it be selectors gut feeling as to who should be selected.

I have not seen Eventing selection policy but I presume it must be worded in a way that allowed them to leave out one of Britains most successful riders.

I am not an Olly fan after Badminton but I am not comfortable that it is right to be able to ignore rider results in selection.

In all likelihood there will be a clause in the policy about behavior and bringing the team into disrepute, warnings and yellow cards are likely to be taken into account as well.

I actually think that selectors should be able to pick who they think will work best for the team not just purely based on results.

Also the team does not need the bad PR that Olly has the major potential of inviting, his lack of selection may be the wake up call he needs, though i doubt it.

Wishful

Visit site
I guess some of the selection was based on the selected horses being much more thoroughbred type so more likely to cope with potentially soft ground in high humidity- none of Ollie's top horses look the type to make the time without pressure- looking at Burghley the selectors were making the choice of specific horses for likely conditions rather than the highest ranked rider - after the issues we've had in the past with the "best" horse being wrong for the target event (Primmores Pride at Athens...) this strikes me as a reasonable approach.

Harry Meade made a good case for future teams with the massive improvement in his horse's stamina shown at Burghley...

tristar

Visit site
the winners were best in the competition, the fact the germans did not win says they were not the best, its a competition not a prediction.

to suggest he may have won individual silver, is fantasy, its in the past, its his own fault he was not there, no one made him hit the horses, the winners made the choice to not get yellow cards by controlling their attitude and horsemanship and got selected, sportsmanship,but more than that, love of horses, consideration that they are feeling beings that can vary and are not machines.

how would it have looked if he lost his rag at weg?, and made fools out of the selectors and shamed his country.

lannerch

Visit site
the winners were best in the competition, the fact the germans did not win says they were not the best, its a competition not a prediction.

to suggest he may have won individual silver, is fantasy, its in the past, its his own fault he was not there, no one made him hit the horses, the winners made the choice to not get yellow cards by controlling their attitude and horsemanship and got selected, sportsmanship,but more than that, love of horses, consideration that they are feeling beings that can vary and are not machines.

how would it have looked if he lost his rag at weg?, and made fools out of the selectors and shamed his country.

When did Ollie get a yellow card, did I miss it? I do not agree with your post at all , horses do not repeatedly perform as well as oldies horses do by being treated as machines.

The Germans did not win as predicted as they were not the best on the day, and maybe the support behind the team is not as effective as it used to be .
I do think the world no 1 should have been there and I think all 3 of his rides round burghley proved that point.
I do agree though that until then there was a question mark after badminton on the stamina of his horses and maybe this is the base of the decision . Although I think particularly BC has now more than proved he had for future selection.

That said I loved every minute of the WEG and am so proud of the team. It’s great that after a long period of just mainly wfp getting the results for this country we have now such a strength in depth which will only get stronger.

The future is exciting bring on the Olympics !

tristar

Visit site
where did i say OT got a card? i did not!

i don`t agree with your opinion all, but you are entitled to it, as you are so defensive would i be right in assuming you think it is right to hit horses when they are apparently doing their best?

horses are flesh and blood, but more than that they are living creatures with minds and yes, feelings, moods, tendencies, and more importantly inherited traits that show in the way they perform and how they cope under stress, part of being a great horseman is understanding this and having the ability to counteract difficulties without resorting to taking it out on the horse, whether in a horses deficient performance or when the horse is tiring on the cross country course