Eventing WP positions - who would you write to

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
A friend of mine is interested in doing a season as an eventing working pupil in England (we're in Ireland) and isn't sure who would be good to write to or how to go about it. I said i'd ask you knowledgeable bunch for some advice
smile.gif

She has two horses, both bought as four year olds. One is now 7 or 8 and was placed 7th is his first CIC** last season. The other is 5 and has done a few PN. She has produced both the horses herself from four year olds. She has done her BHS stage 4, and did a two year course at a college over here, has broken youngsters and is generally a very competent rider. After finishing her college course she was employed by the college to help run the yard and assist in training. Now she has left college and is not getting regular training with her horse she has realised that in order to progress she needs some help and support by someone experienced and is more than willing to put in the hard work required to be a working pupil for a season to help her to move the horse up.

She would want to take the 2* horse with her but is selling the youngster anyway (that was the intent when she bought him), she would need accommodation and training and time to compete her own horse. In return she would be prepared to work hard, and is aware there may not be much financial reward!

So I was wondering who would be good people for her to write to, and what would you include?

Malted Milk biscuits for anyone with any ideas
grin.gif

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Thanks.

I think Lucy W was on her list, along with Oli Townend and Jeanette Brakewell. I don't know if the second two have WP's? Have just googled Gill Watson and she is actually looking for someone now. She is 19 so is still eligible for YRs.

How would we get hold of contact details for Bill levett? I googled him but he doesn't have a website. I guess ask BE?

kerilli

Visit site
i think it's SpottedCat on here who has lessons with Bill sometimes, and would have his number. otherwise, i have it somewhere and can find it if necessary (could take me a little while though!)
the Fredericks and Bill Levett have good reputations for WPs. Ruth Edge would probably be a great one to go to as well, I think. does Mary King take WPs?

seabiscuit

Visit site
If I had my time again I would go to the Wiegersmas/caroline creighton. I dont think anyone else could beat them on the sheer number of top young riders that theyve 'produced' from their yard!

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Brilliant thanks everyone, lots of ideas that we hadn't thought of. She definitely won't go without her horse so Bill Levett might be out
frown.gif
. Lucy W and Gill Watson def look like they're worth contacting. I will speak to said friend tomorrow and then after she's written her CV/letter hopefully you may have some useful input for that too
smile.gif

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Ok, I have just looked on H&H jobs and Emilie Chandler is advertising, and I think Matthew Wright. Does anybody have any experience with either of those?

BronsonNutter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I have just looked on H&H jobs and Emilie Chandler is advertising, and I think Matthew Wright. Does anybody have any experience with either of those?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should be going to Emilie Chandler's during the summer for a few weeks (as not pursueing eventing, but need equine work experience for veterinary so only short term in between zoos and farms!) and she seems very nice.
Yardandgroom.co.uk has a lot of working pupil places advertised on it, if that helps?

spacefaer

Visit site
I wopuld pick someone older who has more experience to pass on - can't suggest names, but someone not much older than your friend might have less to contribute....

K8x

Visit site
Its quite difficult as you have to get on well with the person. You also need to go to someone who can train you in addition to using as a general dogsbody! I worked for a couple of olympic riders, One NZ rider was fab but I shan't name and shame a completely neurotic european rider who was completely bonkers and not in a good way!! I also went to a young male (married!) rider who made it his mission to get in my pants. As a teenage girl, do not even think about going to work for a young male event rider!!

Your friend sounds very focussed and she could do a lot worse than going to Gill Watson or Lucy W!

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Thanks Kat
wink.gif

Good point Spacefaer.

I had a look on yard and groom and there were a few advertised including Harry Meade, Niki Ryan, Dan Jocelyn, Coral Keen, Paul Tapner and a mystery olympic eventer based in Hampshire.

I hope she's been at home working on her CV while I've been googling all these!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
Sam Griffiths was advertising for someone, as was Jonty Evans.

Bill is great - dunno if that is true about WP not taking their own horses - I know he often has one on loan to teach WPs the ropes. I have his phone number if required.

Harry Meade is absolutely lovely.

Princess1

Visit site
Rodney Powell! definitely recommend. Seriously excellent 1 to 1 treatment, as he never takes on too many horses, and they are all really quality. He is a mega perfectionist, so she will learn unbelievable levels of turnout and horsecare, and would get to go to events in a rather snazzy lorry!! Really pushes you though!!

Lucy Wiegersma- noooo way unless you want to be worked into the ground. Would reccommend going somewhere more upcountry, as the social life at warren can be like living in a bubble. (which isnt good when everyone gets tired!)

millitiger

Visit site
Bill won't take WPs with their own horses anymore- i know as my horse was there on loan for the WPs to ride!

i guess he may consider it if the horse is established already (the reason they stopped was because so many people brought unsuitable horses.) pm if you want to give him a call (or his wife Jenny).

i would pick some riders she admires for riding style etc.

i think Harry Meade is fab and remember his dad is there as well!

if she could get in with Gill Watson i think that would be a fabulous experience- as she is already at 2** i think she should be cautious about going to a 'big' rider who may be competing so much that they don't have the time to commit to training.

siennamum

Visit site
If International Riders are arriving in preparation for 2012 it might be worth trying them. I know Michael Winter is in Cirencester, my friend is based with him and raves about him.