Eventing: *,**,***,****

Rachel_M

Visit site
Star rated one, two and three day events- Can you tell me the levels the stars dictates? I know that obviously one star is not as difficult as four star, but how would you categorize them?
smile.gif

DidiR

Visit site
The star rating is an international rating, so they are at the most difficult end of the band they are in.. most technical etc..

* - Novice
** - Intermediate
*** - Advanced
**** - only 5 events in the world, used to be only Badminton and Burghley, but now also Luhmulen, Kentucky and Adelaide.

kerilli

Visit site
a 1* xc would be a mixture of Novice and Intermediate fences, and longer than a normal 1 day track. ditto, a 2* is a mix of Intermediate and Advanced fences.
the Olympics, of course, is only a 3* now...

Wishful

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The star rating is an international rating, so they are at the most difficult end of the band they are in.. most technical etc..

* - Novice
** - Intermediate
*** - Advanced
**** - only 5 events in the world, used to be only Badminton and Burghley, but now also Luhmulen, Kentucky and Adelaide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also Pau, in France as of last year. I think WEG track is a **** while Euros and Olympics are ***

Rachel_M

Visit site
Are the Olympics three star now to encourage smaller countries to enter (As in the ones that may not have either the riders or horses capable/or experienced in jumping 4*?

kerilli

Visit site
yes, it was a necessity to keep Eventing in the Olympics, there are other equine disciplines trying to get the place, basically. i think the IOC said that they had to aim for 10-12 nations competing (could be wrong!) and not risk annihilating the less experienced nations...

Skhosu

Visit site
hmm..we don't have Novice as such, just CNC* on CNCJ*, so I think we may be slightly different over here (Eventing Ireland), but can also depend on the region!

flohelf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

* - Novice
** - Intermediate
*** - Advanced

[/ QUOTE ]
And Pau.... That's 6

teapot

Visit site
Isn't Aachen going to become a 4* or did I completely and utterly dream that? Or is it a 3*?

Rachel_M

Visit site
Is it purely technical difficulty that separates 3* and 4* events, or is there something else which qualifies an event to upgrade?

Thank you for all answering.

TableDancer

Visit site
4* fences are same height as 3* but can be a good bit wider, and tracks are longer and more jumping efforts. People say the difference in riding the two levels is the intensity of a 4* track - the tests never let up!
It's true about the levels in terms of dimensions ie 1* Novice etc but most 1* tracks are far more like an Intermadiate than a Novice. Years ago I asked Matt Ryan for his definitions and he reckoned:
1* = easy intermediate
2* = easy advanced
3* = tough advanced
4* = f***ing ridiculous!!!