Ever lost weight for a horse??

LaurenyLou

Visit site
So I know I sound a bit crazy, but I have just brought the most perfect little mare. And by little, I mean little.. too little for my bum.

She is 15.3hh and a TB. Not too fine but still a TB. She is perfect in every way although the rule book says she shouldn't be (chestnut mare who has hurdled and P2P'ed). Not phased of anything, a bomb could land at the side of her and we would be OK. Jumps like a machine and has OK flatwork, esp for her breed.

BUT...I need to shed at least another 2.5 stone before I can do anything with her. I am sure you are saying what is the point....don't blame you! She has a loaner who is super and will compete her for me, but I am itching to get on board which I think is really helping me to keep on track (1 stone down so far on SW). Am I the only crazy one out there with a ''thinspiration'' horse?! Or if you have had one, did you manage to lose the wobble?!

Dustygirl

Visit site
I've lost 3 1/2 stone this year with SW so I can exercise my daughters horse for her this winter. Haven't quite finished yet but now at a weight I'm comfortable is ok for him. I rode him for the first time last week :)

Good luck with your weight loss !

tabithakat64

Visit site
I'm currently losing weight so that I'm light enough to ride my cob as well as having a wedding to go to next year. So far I've lost 5.5lb in two weeks only another 10lb to go until I can ride but another 40lb to go until I'm at my final goal weight.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
yeh I lost 4 stone for my baby girl, who's not 29, so I'm too heavy for her again now!

She had some tenderness in her back, and the physio politely told me that she would benefit from me losing weight, so I joined ww and lost 3 stone in a year and another stone the following year!

Since I retired her last year I managed to put 2 stone back on but have recently had my youngster backed, so that has helped me shift one of those 2 stones! so desperately trying to lose the last stone now! having come back from holiday this morning, I dread to think what the scales are going to say tomorrow morning!

DJ

Visit site
Yup, i`m once more going to be a pony squisher, and so need to lose weight to be comfortable on him ... i`ve got a good 10lbs to go to be any where near comfortable on him :/ ... another SW bod here too :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Not crazy at all. I have a fine WB and I monitor my weight constantly. My reckoning is that if I ask her to work well for me, I need to be fair to her in return. A friend stopped hunting his mare after getting married and gaining 2stone. He knew she wasn't coping well enough to carry him and dieted to lose the extra bulk.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Yes, just done it. I've lost 2.5 stone in order to back and ride Flicka. There was no way I was going to do it the weight I was so I started mid march and just under 3 months later I considered myself light enough to do it! Unfortunately April (my son's pony) then fell ill with acute hepatitis and my friend's (who was going to help me) daughter had an accident and fractured her femur. So I had an ill pony to care for and then no help, therefore getting on her has been later than planned. That has been good though as it's been a good reason to keep up the healthy eating.

For all those who keep posting "am I too heavy?" etc then if you're asking then in your mind you probably are so STOP eating so much!!!!! I am so pleased to have done it for her, I now owe it to her to maintain it. It'll be easier for my older boy with less weight to carry too.

I work at our local co-op so surrounded by offers on food 5 nights a week and being a chocoholic I'd buy a big bar and eat it all. I now buy fruit instead. :)

LaurenyLou

Visit site
Ah so pleased I am not the only one!! Yes agree, if you're asking then maybe you should not be riding it! I do have a wedding to slim down for too so that's another incentive. But to be honest the horse is the main one lol!!

On another note I am finding this slimming world rather easy. I don't go to the classes as my money all goes on hay (!) but piggybacking a friend who does and it's fallen off the last two weeks!

Flame_

Visit site
Yes about a stone. I have a 14.2 arab and want him to carry my backside a pretty long way. He's constant motivation to keep my weight down.

NZJenny

Visit site
Yes, when I was endurance riding the minimum weight the horses carried for 3* is 75 kg. I'm very tall, plus you have to factor in the weight of saddle, clothing etc. So I was always very conscious of keeping the weight off to stay as close to that as possible. Much to the envy of a lot of my friends who had the opposite problem and had to weight up to make the minimum.

Tash88

Visit site
I've recently lost a stone; before that I wasn't too heavy for my 16hh WB but I did feel like I was carrying a bit extra (was a size 10/12, nearer 12 now I'm a 10), and of course in hindsight that was affecting my riding. I lost the weight through diet and exercise, wasn't easy as I didn't have loads to lose, but it has made such a difference and I feel so much fitter! In my opinion there is still a little way to go but I am not pushing myself so hard as it's more about maintenance now and maybe losing another 5lbs at most. I now feel more balanced and reactive when riding, I thought I was fine before but I feel much better now. I just wanted to say that whilst I think you're all losing weight for fabulous reasons, you will also notice a real difference with your balance and core strength. Well done everyone and good luck!

Luci07

Visit site
Constantly though even at my top weight, my horse has no problem carrying me. However, I persevere with fitness training to give us both the best chance and monitoring my weight and dieting goes hand in hand with that. He is a solid 16.3, still green and sharp and I need my wits about me when working him. My aim is to always try to be fitter than he is...And that gets me out of bed for the horribly early spin classes as well...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Some fab stories here! I lost serious amounts so I could ride, sadly it's all ruddy gone back on in recent years so I haven't been on the boy for more than 5 minutes in ages. Must get back into it, maybe a weight loss thread to ride would be good!

WarmbloodX

Visit site
I lost weight 7 years ago when I was backing my boy. Over time weight has crept back on and now he's a strapping 17.2 I've not felt the need to lose it. But now I've got the chance of backing a horse in the spring but she's only 15.2 and fine. So I need to lose about 2 stone. Tbh I could really do with someone to email or text that's doing the same thing for motivation. Anyone interested ? X

Nessa4

Visit site
I'm another Slimming World convert, who needs to lose A LOT of weght in order to be able to ride my youngster, when my best friend has started him and brought him on a bit. Also have other health issues which I hope will improve with weght loss - (oh the joys of getting old!!). Have so far managed to shift 7lb in 4 weeks, so onwards and downwards! If you want to PM me, WarmbloodX, I would be more than happy to pprovide moralsupport to a fellow sufferer!

WarmbloodX

Visit site
Hi nessa I've added you as a friend but not sure how to pm you. Can't see how to - maybe it's because I'm on a tablet and not on the full website I'm not sure x

LaurenyLou

Visit site
I lost weight 7 years ago when I was backing my boy. Over time weight has crept back on and now he's a strapping 17.2 I've not felt the need to lose it. But now I've got the chance of backing a horse in the spring but she's only 15.2 and fine. So I need to lose about 2 stone. Tbh I could really do with someone to email or text that's doing the same thing for motivation. Anyone interested ? X

All of these bloody fine 15.2hh's!! Haha. Yes I would definitely be interested. I think my problem is my friends are all skinny and tell me one bit of cake/another bottle of wine won't hurt anyone and I cave in. Unlike them, I can see it in the morning on my bum/boobs/belly! Maybe we should start a little fat bum support network. Dust anyone??

Fides

Visit site
Me too! My weight crept up and I found I was too heavy to back my mare, resulting in her backing being delayed by 6 months. Fantastic way to keep on track IMO :)

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I need to lose weight to ride my section d!!! Got on the scale this morning lost 4lb this week with Weight Watchers.... only another 28lbs to gooooo ! Hes not being broken in till new year so Ive got 3 months to do it in!!!

WarmbloodX Im interested :)

diet2ride

Visit site
I lost 3.5st to ride my boy... (I still had a long way to go) then he got a virus, hubby lost his job and our car died. that was 2yrs ago and I'm only now just in place to seriously get back on it.