Ever presented a lame horse to a physio?

RubysGold

Visit site
I feel so bad, like I've wasted this womans time.
I booked an appointment for a physio to come look at Jimmy.
We went showing yesterday and he was a good boy. Got 1St and 3rd place and he was not lame.

Physio comes today and after asking me some questions about him she asks to watch him trot up.
At which point we discover he is lame. Feeling like a complete timewaster and muppet even though there was no way I could have known.

Really hoping he is OK :-(

Antw23uk

Visit site
I dont really understand why you feel like a timewaster? If you get the vet out for the lameness and they tell you a good physio session will sort him out then you will likely feel even sillier ;)

RubysGold

Visit site
The physio said that she cannot treat horses with undiagnosed lameness. If a vet has a look and we know what it is then she can treat. I assume it's an insurance thing.
I know I didn't do anything wrong but I feel bad

Sukistokes2

Visit site
That's why I have a Chiro vet, more money of course but if the horse was lame she could look and diagnose if needed. In fact I'd prob prefer her over some of those girls who turn up but have not a clue of how to work without a scanner.

Your lad may of just knocked himself over night, should be fine, i wouldn't worry too much, see how he is later.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The physio said that she cannot treat horses with undiagnosed lameness. If a vet has a look and we know what it is then she can treat

I think this is pretty standard.
Don't feel bad, if you didn't know he was lame before you trotted him up then it's not like you've done this on purpose. Hope he's on the mend soon.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The physio said that she cannot treat horses with undiagnosed lameness. If a vet has a look and we know what it is then she can treat. I assume it's an insurance thing.
I know I didn't do anything wrong but I feel bad

she is right they are not supposed to treat a lame horse without the vets permission, but on the other hand you were not to know he was going to be lame today he may have just pulled something in the night, give him a few days off and see how he is then.

meleeka

Visit site
Mine was very lame (was undiagnosed in that he should have come sound after surgery but hadn't). He still had a gentle treatment as was less lame afterwards.

At least he/she knew you weren't making it up as they may have suspected if you'd phoned to cancel this morning.

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
I would not feel stupid, you had done showing yesterday how could you know he would be lame!! She got paid anyway, unless she choose not to take a payment.

mynutmeg

Visit site
I have and quite deliberatly - however I knew the lameness was coming from her back - she managed to stand on a golf ball of all things in the school and went down heavily wrenching her lower back. Was rather lame but no leg symptoms. Due to mechanism I knew what was going on, my chiro lady was happy to assess and treat and she's back to 100% within 24-48 hours of treatment :)

Lameness of an unknown cause I'd be vet....however in your case the horse was sound the day before so you had no way of knowing he'd be lame that day for the physio so don't feel bad