Every cloud has a silver lining.. share your experiences!

Tobiano

Visit site
Well! I have had some amazing revelations over the last week… borne out of what seemed like a set of problems that I really didn't need… Has this happened to anyone else and what did you find out?

So last Thursday Bilbo was not quite right in canter when I was at my RI's for a lesson. We couldn't really work out what it was (query tying up?) but anyway he stayed there overnight for some top class monitoring. When I picked him up next day he had goo all over his legs … RI had put cream to soften his mallenders scabs and I took careful notes of what to do.

.. and after 3 more applications of udder cream at home, a good wash and dry, … he now has almost no scabs at all and his bit of mud fever (?) has cleared up :D

Next thing… the poor love is (like me) horizontally challenged, and (probably also like me!) simply will not keep a muzzle on - scrapes it off on a tree within 10 mins of turnout - and someone very experienced suggested I turn him out with a straight bar rubber snaffle. Did so - very pleased - he grazes happily never noticing that it takes him 4 times as long to get anything into his stomach. 'Watch out for rubbing on his mouth' she said.. and unfortunately this was good advice as after day 2 I noticed a tiny patch of raw skin on his mouth. He went back to not having a bit in to graze but then I had the problem of how to ride him without a bit…

And today we had a go, just in the school (and I got a friend to give me a lesson)… but used his Micklem bridle with no bit… WOW! What a revelation! He went brilliantly and I was extra conscious of using seat, leg, weight etc aids not rein aids. It was the most fabulous way of seeing where I am relying on the reins and working on how not to do it. I am almost a bitless convert… and I don't think I'd ever have thought of doing it if he hadn't got a sore mouth.

So a long winded way of asking… what are the accidental benefits you've found when having to find a way round a problem or being in a situation you thought was a disaster…? :)

9tails

Visit site
I don't care how experienced someone is, turning out a horse to graze in a bit is bloody stupid.

LeannePip

Visit site
Agree with above, i'd never turn out in a bit for any reason just far too many things that could happen.

But glad bitless has been a revelation

Tobiano

Visit site
Understand the comments about grazing in a bit but for me it's a better option than laminitis.. I simply cannot keep a muzzle on him. Bit is attached to a thin slip head only and I think that would break or slide off in an emergency. Let's hope we never find out though!

wingedhorse

Visit site
Understand the comments about grazing in a bit but for me it's a better option than laminitis.. I simply cannot keep a muzzle on him. Bit is attached to a thin slip head only and I think that would break or slide off in an emergency. Let's hope we never find out though!

Try Dinky Muzzle with throat strap, a Rambo Vamoose (with the hoop) style fly mask on top. The straps are good and wont rub off. Don't believe possible to rub the combination off on a tree!

Tobiano

Visit site
Ok thanks Equi I could try those! Have just bought a Dinky muzzle will have to check if it has a throat strap! (Or do you add it yourself?). Don't suppose anyone will admit now if they have grazed in a bit but I'd be interested if anyone has personal experience:)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
customize your muzzles-plait in to mane, use duct tape to cover velcro release (it will still act as a break-point) etc etc. I wouldnt turn out in a bit-apart from anything else their mates would have a field day, its bad enough with muzzles and fly masks/rugs!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
No mane! Muzzles always come off intact! Will have another go though :)

ahhh. do you use a fly rug? some have neck loops for a headcollar strap. or maybe try one the the best friend's muzzles that fit onto the noseband of a headcollar. I do sympathise, I hate to see them trussed up but if lammi a real risk you have to do what you have to do.