everyone enjoying the heatwave

racebuddy

Visit site
as title really , although it is very hot , i am loving this wheather , makes a change from it being so wet , on the downside no eventing as just far to hot , lucily i have treadmil very close by so able to keep him fit and he is loving the cold water , ive been getting up at 4 am to ride before work at 7am , hes now gone out at night and in in the day as stable in the shade and cool , temp checked twice daily also and no concerns .

supposed to be eventing this weekend but still temp are at 23 which for me is still to hot to cross country i would rather loose the money and a few weekends of no eventing than have a sick horse , i am still shocked at how many horses are out eventing in the current temp and travelling too with the risk of getting stuck in traffic , whats everyone else doing that would be out competing . we will soon be moaning when its raining again

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm actually hating this weather and struggling physically with it.

Got a mare on box-rest and it is a nightmare. Very hot in the stable and what we've had to do is fix up a sort-of "holding area" in front of the stable so as to let some air in. All went well until she started disrespecting the fencing (electric tape with no current in); but she normally respects leccy fencing as is usually turned out on pasture with mains fencing on it! But nope, Madam tanked through it this morning and is being generally rude and bolshy too. Not pleasant to deal with!

Can't wait for cooler weather.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it looks nice, but it feels horrible, i hate being hot and sweaty, bleughhh. I used to be allergic to my horse's sweat which was an added bit of fun and games. Fortunately i seem to have built up a tolerance to it now, phew.

teens to 20 degrees is my happy place! i would be less grumpy about it if the nights weren't so hot. our rubbish house is boiling all the time.

Sprat

Visit site
I don't mind the heat so much, though it's not easy to get the horse worked properly in it. But I am hating the horrendous hayfever that has accompanied the hot weather. I had to do a mercy dash to the pharmacist earlier to get some prescription antihistamines which still don't seem to be working.

I would be thrilled if it was about 3-4 degrees cooler, that's about perfect.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I don't mind the heat so much, though it's not easy to get the horse worked properly in it. But I am hating the horrendous hayfever that has accompanied the hot weather. I had to do a mercy dash to the pharmacist earlier to get some prescription antihistamines which still don't seem to be working.

I would be thrilled if it was about 3-4 degrees cooler, that's about perfect.
Yeah to be fair, if it brought on hayfever I would probably hate it. I don't envy you at all. I do, however, react terribly to horsefly bites so summer isn't all plain sailing.

Sprat

Visit site
Yeah to be fair, if it brought on hayfever I would probably hate it. I don't envy you at all. I do, however, react terribly to horsefly bites so summer isn't all plain sailing.

It's been awful this year. I'm generally on antihistamines from about Spring until Autumn anyway, but the severity has taken the biscuit this year.

Husband helpfully* suggested that I shove garlic cloves up each nostril as it apparently is an old wives tale to help. Can confirm, did not help. I looked like a prat and I could smell garlic for hours afterwards.

*clearly not helpful at all, the git was having a laugh at my expense.

Lacuna

Visit site
Absolutely hating every minute. Can't stand being hot and sweaty. Hate being bitten to pieces.
Can't wait for cooler weather so I can get some riding in and get some jobs done on yard.
Wow do I sound like a misery or what ?

I'm allergic to cleg bites and end up hiding indoors for the majority of the weather when its like this. Looking forward to the weekend when there will be more cloud and hopefully fewer damn flies.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
It's been awful this year. I'm generally on antihistamines from about Spring until Autumn anyway, but the severity has taken the biscuit this year.

Husband helpfully* suggested that I shove garlic cloves up each nostril as it apparently is an old wives tale to help. Can confirm, did not help. I looked like a prat and I could smell garlic for hours afterwards.

*clearly not helpful at all, the git was having a laugh at my expense.
I hope you are plotting his demise as we speak ????????

SEL

Visit site
22 tops for me!

One of mine doesn't sweat properly so I spend days like this worrying about her. Can't bring her in because the stables are too hot so rely on her to use the plentiful shade in her paddock. Common sense and my mare don't always work together though and she was hot and cross last night.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Common sense and my mare don't always work together though and she was hot and cross last night.

It's crazy. Mine were snoozing on the stony area by the water trough in the full sun. There is shade only a few metres away without the stony ground. To top it off, two of the cats decided that they weren't hot enough, so are spending their days sleeping in the boiling hot conservatory.

Auslander

Visit site
I'm sick of it - I am designed for cooler climes!
I poopicked at 7am, but still had sweat dripping into my eyes by the time I finished. All the horses are fed up, and the dog is losing his mind because he likes to go everywhere with me, and he has to stay home most of the day now!

Alf usually runs for his life when I pick the hose up, so this pic highlights just how hot the poor guy must be!

219514756_10160829125800730_3837688223371209790_n.jpg

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Am quite liking it I just ride very early or very late we live in a bungalow so it's quite cool for sleeping, I have just heard a rumble of thunder and it's gone a bit cloudy so perhaps we are in for rain!

scats

Visit site
I’d normally quite enjoy it but I’m a bit stressed out with P and the heat is just making things more difficult. Grooming dogs in this heat is not much fun either. Cooling fans aimed at them but I have a headache at the end of every day.
Riding Millie in the evening. We were our road hacking at 7pm yesterday, it had cooled enough to be pleasant.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Am quite liking it I just ride very early or very late we live in a bungalow so it's quite cool for sleeping, I have just heard a rumble of thunder and it's gone a bit cloudy so perhaps we are in for rain!
we were forecast rain tomorrow, but each day that passes, the forecast slides out another day. now it looks due on saturday.

we had no water this morning at the yard... off to check if that's been sorted now otherwise it's going to be a tedious afternoon getting water to the horses. only last night i thought i should fill up a big barrel trough as that would last longer, kicking myself now!

Antw23uk

Visit site
A few degrees cooler would be nice. I've just spent Sunday and Monday evenings bringing in hay off the field and god its so hot, itchy and scratchy, hateful!!! but its done :)

I was having a cuppa on the garden this morning and could hear the clip clop of hooves out on the road which made me jealous as people got in an early morning hack and i had to come to work. I just cant get up early enough to ride, its just not happening, so i enjoyed the garden instead :D

Attachments

• garden 200721.jpg
    garden 200721.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 58

PurBee

Visit site
Its just so extreme, we’re not used to it, we havent had time to acclimatise….im quite overwhelmed!
Being drenched in sweat, bitten to death…not fun.
It is amazing to experience aside from the practical physical discomfort issues…but even the plants are wilting despite having wet soil.
Ive got fencing to do in fields and cant face it….waiting for 7pm when the sun goes down a bit.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im far too fair skinned to deal with anything over about 18c. My boys all live out in the summer anyway but they are cooler in the fields, all have some natural shelter so Im poo picking and topping up the water before 7am, a quick check about 1pm and back down around 8pm to do it all again. No chance of me riding or lunging until we go down below 20c so they are all having a summer break. I hate the heat, burn if Im out for more than about 10 mins, then develop a headache and start throwing up, get bitten to death and end up red all over, no golden tan for me...oh the joy of summer :(

holeymoley

Visit site
Im stuck between a rock and a hard place- laminitic horse not coping during the day with heat so unsure whether to turn out at 10pm and bring in early! It increases the length of time out at grass though.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I don't mind it but would prefer it a few degrees cooler.

I'm riding early mornings and getting jobs done either early morning or evenings when it's cooler.

Thankfully our brick stables are cool for pony in the day.

We've got fans in the house so it's cool but would prefer it cooler at night so I can sleep better as the noise wakes me up. I'd rather this than rain though :D

NinjaPony

Visit site
I don’t mind the heat but could do without the boiling hot bedroom when I’m trying to sleep!
Main issue is my pony has developed horrible scabby lumps which are quite sore, so the poor boy needs cream twice a day, and has to wear a Fly rug and mask even though it’s hot for him. I’m having to shower him every evening and dry the specific patches for cream application, whilst he is getting furious with every fly (understandably) and sweating in his coolest fly rug. He’s out in the day with plenty of shade as he needs to be muzzled (laminitic) and coming in early evening but I still feel guilty that he is hot. I had a riding lesson at 3pm on Sunday (booked ages ago or I would never have gone then!) and ended up with mild heat exhaustion and had to go to bed at half 9, Im just not used to exercising hard in this kind of heat at all. I think if it was more regular it would be easier to adjust.

Hallo2012

Visit site
well, i am loving it!

aside from the ever increasing allergy to horsefly bites, i generally tan not burn and dont over heat easily.

I'm actually sick of all the judging posts accusing people of more or less abusing horses if still riding or competing...............i can only speak for mine but he's VERY fit and acclimatised to working in it. Every situation differs and clearly a chunky hairy sort with minimal fitness, worked from a field is going to cope differntly to a hard fit LW type kept on a yard with shade/cooling facilities.