Ex Race Horses

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Thanks for that - unfortunately the horse I am looking at buying is not on there.

We have seen a 7 year old ex race horse, a chestnut gelding, who is really lovely. Laid back but responsive and seems very safe.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
If you play around on the Racing Post site you will find everything you need to know. Pedigree, siblings, sales prices.
In his case, he has had no siblings raced or been through the sales. He is by Keen out of a Cadeaux Generaux mare. Was brought 4 years ago by Harvey Smith for £1400. Has showed the odd bit of ability but obviously hindered by serious problems. He had 6 months off the track late 03/early 04. 9 months off 04/05. Came back for 1 run before having 8 months off until March this year.

S_N

Visit site
To add to Vici's reply, he was still racing in August this year! This, along with the odd history, that indicates problems, would really make me wonder whether he reall is suitable to your daughters.......

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Are you thinking that his time off was because of injuries - and if this is so - would these be picked up on the vetting?

He is not expensive and the girls spend over an hour riding him including taking him for a hack out.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
He was completely calm and laid back. And the thing is we didn't go to look at him. We went to look at another gelding but he wasn't suitable as the girls said he was like a time bomb waiting to explose.

This horse was just gorgeous and they felt completely safe and in control with him.

vicijp

I would assume that he has been dogged by leg trouble, and any good vet will pick that up.
The times he has had off may have been to go point to pointing, but that would surprise me going by the stable he is from.
Are you buying directly from the yard? If so the 2 months since he has raced would be plenty of time to let things settle down.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
No - buying from a small dealer in Chorley. Is time for things to settle down - good or bad - as in hiding things.

Would you recommend telling the vet about the time off.

Thanks for your help on this one. Finding this very hard - the girls have really fallen for him and had to disappoint them already as a horse we wanted to buy had head shaking.

vicijp

I would recommend telling the vet about the time off, yes. Giving time for things to settle down is bad, it wouldnt totally cover things up but may give the impression that things are better than they are.
He raced pretty soundly this year, so he may have had just a slight flare up. In 2 months it may have settled down enough to mask things a bit. I would be suspicious if the seller hasnt mentioned these periods of rest and the reason behind them.
Are you intending him to have a heavy workload/compete at a highish level?
Personally, if he really is ideal for your daughters I would go ahead and have him vetted. Bear in mind, that if you do find a problem with the legs that has a bearing on his future suitability for the job, a scan after 2 months of patching up may not show a lot. It is when you bring him into more work that things may flare up. I would ask for a months trial, up his workload and then get the legs scanned at the end of that. That is if the vet finds anything to start with.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Not being experienced in these things - I don't have much to compare their work level with. To be honest I don't think they work level is high. They don't ride everyday - school, life weather gets in the way. They want to compete at local shows. They have done about ten this year and intend to do some indoor shows in the winter - mainly jumping.

Other than that they do like to go on long hacks out - sometimes up to five hours - but most of that at a walk or trot. (I think)

vicijp

The horse should be plenty sound enough to cope with that sort of workload, even if our guessing is totally correct. The only problem is the horse may need a bit of time off, and its best to go into these things knowing that the worst may happen.
Did you tell the dealer you would require a vetting? I would ring her and ask about the gaps in his race career.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
The dealer wasn't there - she was at the Welsh sales. Her groom was - and I did say we would arrange a vetting. I don't think she knew his history - but she did recommend we looked him up on the racing post site (just couldn't remember what site she said when I got home).

To be honest they seemed very genuine people. Didn't try and push the first horse - said you've got to feel comfortable and the first one was almost twice the price. I will speak to the dealer tomorrow before I arrange the vetting and ask her about it.

Thanks very much for your help on this. I feel a total ignoramus. Can't believe how lucky we were with our first pony. Saw four - liked this one - had her vetted - bought her - had her for a year with not a single problem. This time it's been a nightmare - 9 out of 10 of the horses we have rung have gone and of the others they all seem to have some problem.

vicijp

OK,
his sales record - http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=594312&data=sales
his siblings which have raced (if you click on the names it will bring up their form)- http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=594312&data=relatives
His sires breakdon (he never raced, and has never produced anything that raced) -
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/bloodstock/bs_stallion_progeny_results_popup.sd?horse_id=49473
Horses out of the dam that have been through the sales -
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/bloodstock/bs_dam_progeny_sales_popup.sd?horse_id=1264
his dams race record -
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=1264
the dams sales record -
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=1264&data=sales
the dams siblings (again click on the names) -
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=1264&data=relatives
the dam sires breakdown -
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/bloodstock/b...06&sort=RPR

Not sure I can go much further back, but basically just keep clicking on the names and the breeding and race/breeding records will keep coming up. To check for sales, just click on the 'sales' link across the top of the records.

Have now found the sires race record(sometimes they arent linked if they are from a long time ago) -
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=49473

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
[ QUOTE ]
He was completely calm and laid back. And the thing is we didn't go to look at him. We went to look at another gelding but he wasn't suitable as the girls said he was like a time bomb waiting to explose.

This horse was just gorgeous and they felt completely safe and in control with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't meaning how calm he is. Ex racers can be very calm . What I meant was that if he flat raced you may have to teach him to school, to bend, balance, work properly through his back, jump, etc etc. It's a lot of work. They aren't ready made for showing and it takes work to get them fit for shows.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Sorry - you have to understand that I don't really know what I am talking about here - not having any experience of horses.

From his record at Racing Post he jump raced (and no I don't know what that is either).

The yard he is at has been training him for a month. The girls said he was really responsive - you'll have to forgive me if I get this bit wrong - I am just quoting them. They said he went in a proper outline, seemed willing to learn, forward going but not strong and very responsive.

Jenny is willing to work - and knows she will have to put a lot of effort into him. Firstly, that is what she wants to do - and secondly we can't afford any more than that - I have to give up a lot to fund the keep of two horses - don't want to get myself further into debt in buying one.

I really appreciate the advice from everyone - I just want to be sure I am not making a big mistake.