Ex Racehorse Bitting

ChelseaGostomska

Visit site
I am exhausting ideas and so I thought id post on here to see if anyone has had any relatable experiences.

I have an ex racer taken off the track, hes a gorgeous boy but I have found myself struggling to find the correct bit for him, I have tried him in a collegiate comfitec bridle, cavesson noseband bridle and a micklem bridle.

Bit wise i have tried full cheek french link snaffle, eggbutt lozenge snaffle, NS Universal Turtle top, NS Universal, NS Starter Bit, Sweet Iron Loose Ring Snaffle with Brass Alloy Lozenge and a loose ring bomber, a Bomber lock up and a Bomber happy tongue.

My boy likes to open his mouth and avoid the bit when pressure is applied to the reins, he also tries to pull the reins out of my hand and tries to get his tongue over the bit. and am seeking the best options for him...

I have ordered a bitless bridle, but have not yet ridden in one myself. he is a very strong boy and he has been in retraining since May now, understandably he has a lot more retraining to do. has anyone got any advice or had similar experience?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'm no bitting expert by any stretch of the imagination, but did have to go through loads for my DWB. Spent an arm and a couple of legs on all sorts of bits, ended up with a straight bar mullen(?) rubber fixed ring id I remember right. We went from Oh My Gosh Look Ooouuuutttt! to really quite chilled.

Try EKW on here. She's a work rider.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I ended up in a plastic full cheek straight bar with my just turned four year old. He is fussy in the mouth and it's the only bit he will settle in.

Have his teeth been checked?

Templebar

Visit site
Having done the usual checks, i would say you have been through all the kind options. If you are not opposed to trying a strong bit i would try a magenis snaffle. It has rollers but the other way so when they open their mouth the wind whistles through and dries out the mouth, the sides on it are pretty straight making is more severe but if only for a short period it might work. I know someone who uses one xc on a racehorse which seems to work quite well for them.

I dont think i would go bitless as he wont understand it and if you haven't used one either it would be either a massive success or ultimate disaster to me.

Only other thing would be what was he raced in and did he ever evade it in that way , im mostly thinking about putting the tongue over the bit.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what bit did they use when he was in training? i wouldnt think bitless is a good idea if you have never used one...what noseband are you using, lots of the racehorses nowadays seem to have grakles on. have you tried a grakle? or alternatively a drop noseband rather than trying a stronger bit...

Cragrat

Visit site
I'm no expert at all, but perhaps he needs the purpose of a bit explaining to him? maybe his breaking in process was rushed, even by racehorse standards, so is it worth selecting a decent lozenge cheekpiece bit, and lunging in correctly adjusted sidereins for a while, until the penny drops?

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
my ex racer arrived in a flash, with mart and a single jointed snaffle. he was strong and hard to stop. I got rid of the flash, the mart and the jointed bit, replacing that with a happy mouth straight bar loose ring. He loves it. works round, and soft and I can gallop him flat out, then ask him to come back just by sitting and holding. People often over bit a racehorse, mines mouth is very very soft,

Haniki

Visit site
I'm another who settled for a straight bar Happy Mouth. I used one with cheeks and for 'exciting' events added a grackle noseband.