Ex-racehorse showing classes, info??

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Just after any info about these ex-racehorse showing classes..

1) i think you can qualify for RIHS and HOYS.. how do i qualify and where and when are these qualifiers???

2) do you have to register with any associations (sp?) before doing these qualifiers??

3) what is expected of the horses, i'm guessing it's something like a riding horse class??

seabiscuit

Visit site
Look on the SEIB website (SE insurance brokers) at some point they will have a list of the shows that will hold the ROR classes next year....you attend any of these shows, and if you come 1st or 2nd *I think* then you qualify for HOYS..

No you dont have to register with any associations but you do of course have to have the horses weatherbys passport.

What is expected of the horses? Well....the fattest horse of the day, with its head tucked in, with clean legs, and the best manners, will win! So how fat can you make the horse
wink.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
haha, well he has known to windsuck, so he has a tummy on him
crazy.gif
not the right sort tho!! haha
smile.gif

will have a look, i'm guessing i've missed all the qualifiers for this season
frown.gif

i've put a double bridle on, so can haul his nose in, he is also very mannerly!
smile.gif
haha

siennamiller

Visit site
you don't have to reg to do these classes. I did one at south of england. It was brill. Almost everything was leaping about. There was lots of spooking and generally being silly-hilarious!!!
To qual for the RIHS you can do any of the quals on the seib list. I think the quals for the HOYS is the search for a star shows.
I think the judging is as bad as in normal showing from what I can gather reading another forum.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Have had a look, and can't do anything till next season, yep, it is th Derby meeting not the RIHS one, qualifying starting in April!

Never heard of 'Gosh' but if it's winning the small riding horse class at HOYS i'd say we don't have a chance
frown.gif

He's a good enough looking horse, but he doesn't have the best top line, obviously made to look worse with the potbelly.. might be a bit of fun to try tho
smile.gif

We won a lovely bronze trophy today winning an ex-racehorse class at a local show
smile.gif
smile.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
They are not the same rules i.e. they can be produced and shown by amateurs or professionals. They are sponsired by SEIB but are not part of the SFAS series.

siennamiller

Visit site
as fmm said, the tb show horse is held on the same day/venue but can be prouced by anyone.
Its good fun
The horse that won the final at RIHS this year was Early rising, he is stuning and has won loads of other classes ( hunter classes I think)
The horse that won it last year is Brostaig ort and he is equally stunning. The final line up at RIHS was almost without exception very impressive. The only thing is the littlies don't do so well. The judges seem to like the big hunter types

Scarlett

Visit site
there are also the Ex-racehorse Club shows which are gaining more poularity... in these you have to be registered with the club (£5) and your horse has to have been in training or raced - not just a registered TB like the RoR classes (kind of defys the point of a Retrained Rachorse if its never even been in training). In the Ex-Racer classes you can wear any tack and boots are acceptable to if your horse needs them, they also will 'overlook' injuries gained in racing - bowed tendons or pinfiring etc - which I believe RoR dont. There are also sometimes different classes for those horses just out of training and those that have been out a while, in hand, vetran and at the Club Show at Arena UK in October there are dressage classes and a Champion of Champions class.

Admittedly its not as high profile as RoR but its getting there and there are classes almost every week at the moment... There is also a fantastic atmosphere in these classes, with competitors cheering each other on...

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Horsedirectory_Forum/index.php? for anyone who may not know about them and may be interested....

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
The SEIB HOYS class says that the horse has to be have been in training.
"The Racehorse to Riding Horse Show Championship is a new series for
thoroughbreds that have been in racing, although they do not need to have run they must have been in training."

seabiscuit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The final line up at RIHS was almost without exception very impressive. The only thing is the littlies don't do so well. The judges seem to like the big hunter types

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that very unfair...for christ sake the majority of TB's are fine flat racer types. There are thousands more flat types then Nat Hunt type. the little fine TB's should be given a chance but there is no way it is going to beat a big heavy TB that is already winning loads of other showing classes anyway!
mad.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
I think they need to split the classes
Either small and large maybe. Or novice classes??
There is also talk of doing working hunter classes for the ex racers with fences of 2ft 6ish.
Kelly Marks was in my class at south of england and she told me that. She is quite involved with the ex racers so hopefully it is true( cos that woUld be much more fun than a flat class)

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
OT, but what a great idea having classes for ex racehorses - I occasionally fantasise (when there's a big rollover on the Lotto!) of buying land and stables and taking in TBs that were bred for the track but never made it and re-training them for something else... so now, when I do win that €5 million I know my efforts won't be in vain!!!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If it is a class for racehorses who have raced or been in training, then that is who the class is for! It is the judges that should be changed perhaps (or re educated) rather than the class rules. Surely as an ex racehorse owner you would want to see the best horses in the ring at the final. However, if the judge is a hunter judge, then you will see more NH type horses at the top. If they are a hack judge, then you will see more LW horses at the top. In all the results I have seen there have been a real mix of small and larger horses. I can't get the result of the Derby meeting (I am sure that it is the Derby meeting and not the RIHS that the class is held at). If anyone has the Derby results, post them so we can see who was placed!