Ex-racehorses and hacking

soloequestrian

Visit site
Numpty question coming... still pondering the idea of looking for a retiring racehorse as the next project, preferably direct from a trainer. Would it be reasonable to try to find one that was already used to hacking, preferably alone, or is that not something they tend to do? I'm not bothered about the level of schooling but I'm not sure I can face introducing another horse to hacking with very little help available!
Thanks!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've bought quite a few ex racers and never had one yet that was used to hacking alone. A third took to it easily, a third questioned and accepted the answer, and a third took some persuading, though none of them failed to become solo hacks. They would probably need to come off a very small yard to have done any solo hacking.

Cragrat

Visit site
i went to try my ex racer 2 days after his last race- so he was very very fit fit still. Saw him in the loose school, then back to the stable, tacked up, legged up outside the stable, hacked him alone up the road to the downs ( near some gallops) and rode him in the warm up circle, and then took him along the road a way.

He was a little fresh, completely unable to canter a circle, but a total saint - obviously I went back the next day and picked him up!

ETA he was a 5 y/o, and it was a fairly small yard

Hero**

Visit site
I bought my ex racer when he was 7. He had absolutely no retraining whatsoever and could do pretty much nothing. But the one thing he could do was hack out on his own. He was absolutely bomb proof from the get go. We actually spent 12months hacking on the roads as that was about all he was able for and tbh it was glorious. But I had no agenda in mind and every small step was a massive achievement with him. He's retired now at 21 and ornaments my fields with his handsome self.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Most will be used to hacking (and everything else) in strings unless they’ve come from a small or semi-pro setup. That said, all of mine have been worldly wise for their years and taken to it well with a little practise and re-assurance.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Try smaller trainers. I work pt for a small and bigger trainer and the smaller yard they would be used to going out alone. The larger one not so much.

Reactions: TPO

Teaboy

Visit site
Smaller yards may well have them hacking out alone so maybe approach those, I know all without question on the yard I worked for hacked alone and in company perfectly happily.

Lurfy

Visit site
I think it comes down to personality and early training. My OTTB had a little retraining by an eventer before we bought him as a green 5 year old and he was always fine hacking alone. He was actually better alone than in company because he would always want to be in front when in company. Not much phased him, he would look at scary things grow a hand and just keep going.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It depends on the horse most racehorses do everything in a group so it would wise to assume that any horse from training will need help getting used to this .
However all my TBs have been brilliant hacks including the one who was chucked out of racing school for extreme napping .

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks, it's good to know it's not a totally ridiculous thing to want. The one trainer I have looked at so far wants lots of information from people applying for their retiring horses so I think I would just try a few trainers and say exactly what I'm looking for. I just didn't want to include something impossible!

Mrs G

Visit site
It does depend on the individual horse of course but for what it's worth... both my ex racers became very good to hack, alone or in company. We started with hacking with another horse, then with someone on foot and progressed to short familiar hacks on our own and from then on hacking was/is our favourite thing.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
My sister ( 5'2" ) used to work in racing and later on had an ex racehorse ( 17hh ) . He was absolutely the best hack ever , whether alone or in company , and would often be the horse in a group that led everyone else past/through a hazard . The only ' blip ' she ever had with him was riding him down a track one day , which ran next to a road with a thick hedge separating the two . A group of cyclists on the road on the other side of the hedge overtook them and her horse took one look at the hunched backs and bobbing heads and went " String ! Wait for me ! " and promptly took off after them . He cantered happily upsides for ages until there was a big gap in the hedge and he suddenly realised that they were on bicycles . She said his disappointment was palpable , he went from canter to walk in a stride and they continued on their ride in a slightly embarrassed and subdued mood .

Last edited:

fankino04

Visit site
My ex racer clearly hadn't done any solo hacking before I got her but I wouldn't say she was any more nappy than the average baby going out on their own for the first few times then she was a dream to hack, the turning around and CALMLY walking home was much harder to sort out lol

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine hadn't hacked alone before but he caught onto the idea quickly, in fact he would storm off in front and forget about his hacking mate quite quickly. Control while out and about was sketchy though ;) he did also bounce out of the yard with his spine jammed up my bum every time :oops: rarely put his back up when schooling.

marmalade88

Visit site
I think most will be fine as they’ve been to race course and travelled all over. I’m a confident hacker so bringing them on never really bothers me. What’s your confidence like hacking?

The biggest problem I had with hacking mine was complete lack of proprioception, ability to go up and down hills and steps, and standing still for things to pass. He’s pretty well bomb proof now. I suppose it depends how much work you want to put into in.

MummyEms

Visit site
All of my ex racers have hacked well alone an in company without much effort needed.
One was a bit more of a worrier but they're so intelligent and easy to teach.
Would be a good idea to ask for a braver type as the training yard will know which are the more worry prone horses.
My all time favourite thing in the world is hacking alone my 7 Yr old ex racehorse. She's so forward yet so light in the hand!!!

humblepie

Visit site
Pretty much repeating what others have said. I’m near one of the big racing centres and you do see horses out on their own but most are of course in strings. Both mine are fabulous hacking alone although the one I was given out of training took a while to get confidence. Initially we had a lot of neighing and some getting stuck but it was confidence - me in him and him in me.

L&M

Visit site
I bought one years ago, when I was far less experienced - when I tried him hacked out with someone else with no issues. Got him home and he was a nightmare - couldn't even get him off the yard without planting then rearing. Had more experienced friends/yard owner try/vet checks but to no avail.

Sadly I had to sell him on as needed a horse that could hack solo. He went to a hunting home and loved being in the 'field' but the new owner quickly found out that she had to stay out all day unless could find someone else hacking home early!

Nudibranch

Visit site
The ones I've had have all been a bit wary of being alone but got used to the idea fairly quickly apart from one, who was never comfortable. However all have been really good with traffic, especially large/farm vehicles. For me that outweighs the odd argument about going solo.

catembi

Visit site
Mine will not hack alone. Plants, rears (he is not normally a rearer), tries to shake me off in the way that a dog shakes itself, threatens to throw himself on the floor... With another horse, he hacks out like a trekking pony, on the buckle, and really strangely, isn't affected by antics from the other horse & will happily either go in front or trail along behind.