Ex-Racer Help Alert!! Changing legs behind in canter...

PercyMum

Visit site
Lovely TB has clearly hit 5 and is being a bit of an a**e about everything atm. Doesn't want to cooperate or only on his terms for about 5 mins. Which is fine, he's going through his teenage years.

However... he keeps changing leg in canter on the lunge and when ridden. He only does this in the school and not out hacking. Going into canter on the lunge is usually preceded by large tantrum and he keeps being a plonker for about 4-5 attempts until he puffs himself out and then seems to canter ok (admittedly it still looks a bit pants but he is still learning :D). trot work getting there - ok on the lunge, less great when ridden but he is generally stroppy all round (think that's his character tbh).

Teeth, back and saddle all fine and I can't see any lameness at all, neither can my instructor. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do to work him through it? I should add my school is quite small (18m x 25m) so its not ideal. We are getting a bigger one next week so hoping that might help?

I should add that I am borderline neurotic about my horse - 1 with arthritis in its hocks, Ive had 2 with Kissing Spine, 1 that was certified crackers and put down and I lost my gorgeous mare last year to Wobblers. So I am terrified this lad is going wrong too :(

touchstone

Visit site
I suspect he's just finding it hard going cantering on a circle and in a small school, if he's quite one sided it will be easier to change legs and go disunited on the more difficult rein.

I'd stop asking for canter on the lunge for now and just ask for a few strides at a time down the long side of the school and get plenty of practice out hacking. If this is a recent development and he cantered fine beforehand then I'd have a vet check to rule out anything physical.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Could just be an issue with balance on a circle, could be something physical. We got one of our tbs at 4, she had raced 3 times, she switched legs in canter only in the ménage & was found to have a kissing spine, probably due to racing as a 2 yr old & being broken in at 18 months.. BUT she can do it, since her back is treated every 3-6 months and she was basically reschooled, she can do it, it's now a bit of a confidence issue, we know this because she does it perfectly lunged & with a rider in a field rather than a ménage.

Last edited:

noblesteed

Visit site
My horse (ok, he's an older well-schooled fellow) was changing leg behind, after having all checks done, various instructors, turned out my left hip was slightly out of place which was unbalancing him. A few sessions with my physio and all was fine.

PercyMum

Visit site
Thanks all. He came out of racing about 18 months - 2 years ago. Did 6 months in a field, hen did very basic retraining with Darley and then I got him last August. He has been a bit stop-start since then for a number of reasons but has been in good solid work for about 3-4 months now.

I am sure I am being neurotic and he is getting better, such as working over his back, starting to track up etc. He is getting a bit more attitude but that is to be expected I guess. McTimony lady couldn't find anything but she is out tomorrow again so might get her to check him anyway.

Think I should perhaps just forget canter for a bit in the school and work on his trot work and just canter when out?

Lolo

Visit site
If he's coming out fine from all the customary checks, I'd be inclined to say it's a lot to ask of a 5yo who hasn't been in 'normal' riding all that long and so as he grows stronger he will stop it.

Reg used to do it, and it was a balance issue.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
To me, that sounds like it is very likely he has some degree of sacroiliac pain. Usually chopping and changing leads behind is synonymous with SI pain.

PercyMum

Visit site
If he's coming out fine from all the customary checks, I'd be inclined to say it's a lot to ask of a 5yo who hasn't been in 'normal' riding all that long and so as he grows stronger he will stop it.

Reg used to do it, and it was a balance issue.

Fair point - thanks

I think part of the problem is that he used to be ok but that was when his head was in the air like a normal ex-racer. Now he tries to put his head in a more normal positionand then the changes start.

Perhaps I am putting too much pressure on him and he is putting too much pressure on himself, so then he gets stroppy when he can't do it as he is going through his teenage phase.

PercyMum

Visit site
To me, that sounds like it is very likely he has some degree of sacroiliac pain. Usually chopping and changing leads behind is synonymous with SI pain.

This was my initial neurotic thought but would there not be some related muscular or back pain? Or lameness? He doesn't have any of these :confused:.

I hasten to add I have not had a horse with an SI so actually I wouldn't really know what symptoms to look for.

Lolo

Visit site
I don't know though, thinking more.

Is it worth phoning a vet and discussing it? Sometimes the smallest things can indicate the biggest problems (without wanting to worry you!) and it is dependent on how he has been previously.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
SI pain can be completely separate from muscular back pain, and does not often present as a visible leg lameness. Generally it affects canter the most, and tends to make it hard for them to 'sit' behind, and the classic symptom is chopping and changing leads behind. Having to work in a rounded outline is also probably going to exacerbate the symptoms.

I am not saying your horse definitely has SI pain, as that would be ridiculous without seeing him or having a proper veterinary examination... but you just seem to me to be describing a typical SI pain type horse. It is possible for a good vet to nerve block the SI area which can prove or disprove that there may be SI pain, and then it is also possible to treat SI pain with injections - just needs a proper diagnosis.

I am also of the belief that horses don't strop for no reason, and I am not really a believer in 'teenage years', they aren't humans with hormones after all. Unfortunately most things they do, do have a reason!

PercyMum

Visit site
I don't know though, thinking more.

Is it worth phoning a vet and discussing it? Sometimes the smallest things can indicate the biggest problems (without wanting to worry you!) and it is dependent on how he has been previously.

Its difficult to judge on previous performance as he has been better in the canter but that's been in a bigger school with a great surface (current school is small and has cruddy builders sand surface but new school going in next week - yay!). He didn't change in ridden canter but did on the lunge. However, we could only lunge in the lunge pen which is the same width as my school now. SO I don't know if he would have changed on the bigger school on the lunge. His trot work was worse then whereas now he has occasional flashes of some very nice work.

Now my neurotic vibes are firing up - I already have one horse going in for a probable Tie-back op next week. I just seem so unlucky with horses :(

touchstone

Visit site
While it's good to do checks etc, I think you might be jumping the gun a little by thinking the worst; the horse is being asked to do something physically difficult that he may not be balanced or fit enough for; the spring grass is coming through which may also be affecting behaviour.

I'd take a step back, work on hacking out more asking for canter and stopping before he switches legs, if you can find somewhere suitable you could ask for canter on a large circle and gradually build up to spiralling down. I'd possibly try adding magnesium to his diet and focus on his diet too.

If there is no improvement given careful work then that is the time to consider other issues - try not to panic just yet.

Marydoll

Visit site
Difficult to say without seeing but hes possibly just a bit weak behind and will get better as his strength, balance and musculature improves, but id get the vet to check over before pushing ahead, just to be on the safe side

PercyMum

Visit site
While it's good to do checks etc, I think you might be jumping the gun a little by thinking the worst; the horse is being asked to do something physically difficult that he may not be balanced or fit enough for; the spring grass is coming through which may also be affecting behaviour.

I'd take a step back, work on hacking out more asking for canter and stopping before he switches legs, if you can find somewhere suitable you could ask for canter on a large circle and gradually build up to spiralling down. I'd possibly try adding magnesium to his diet and focus on his diet too.

If there is no improvement given careful work then that is the time to consider other issues - try not to panic just yet.

Difficult to say without seeing but hes possibly just a bit weak behind and will get better as his strength, balance and musculature improves, but id get the vet to check over before pushing ahead, just to be on the safe side

Thanks. My neurosis are currently in overdrive. Statistical fact would suggest that I cannot be that unlucky to have another poorly horse! I think I will ease off him for the next few weeks while the new arena is being built, then start again and see what happens. Maybe i will take him over ti my friends arena (60x20) and see how he is in there?

deoni

Visit site
My 5 year old tb used to swap legs cantering but was also fine hacking. I ditched the school for a while and she is good now, I think she was just unbalanced when schooling and she used to speed round which didn't help. :p So, it might be nothing to worry about!

SVMel

Visit site
I would be inclined to agree, if you have had all the checks done and nothing is showing up it could just be age / lack of balance/ lack of muscle etc. I used to ride a well established mare that would do it, took so long for me to realise I had too much inside bend. Rode her straighter and the problem stopped. Now I ride everything a lot straighter!!!!!

PercyMum

Visit site
I would be inclined to agree, if you have had all the checks done and nothing is showing up it could just be age / lack of balance/ lack of muscle etc. I used to ride a well established mare that would do it, took so long for me to realise I had too much inside bend. Rode her straighter and the problem stopped. Now I ride everything a lot straighter!!!!!

Thats an interesting point - thank you. He is a bit wibbly-wobbly (to be expected and maybe thats not helping either. Defintely doesn't do it on a hack in a straight line. My instructor is getting on him tonight and she rides at PSG and has retrained racehorses to a decent level so I hope she can have a feel and see whats going on. Not sure I could go through another broken horse episode :eek:

Last edited:

DollyPentreath

Visit site
SI pain can be completely separate from muscular back pain, and does not often present as a visible leg lameness. Generally it affects canter the most, and tends to make it hard for them to 'sit' behind, and the classic symptom is chopping and changing leads behind. Having to work in a rounded outline is also probably going to exacerbate the symptoms.

I am not saying your horse definitely has SI pain, as that would be ridiculous without seeing him or having a proper veterinary examination... but you just seem to me to be describing a typical SI pain type horse. It is possible for a good vet to nerve block the SI area which can prove or disprove that there may be SI pain, and then it is also possible to treat SI pain with injections - just needs a proper diagnosis.

I am also of the belief that horses don't strop for no reason, and I am not really a believer in 'teenage years', they aren't humans with hormones after all. Unfortunately most things they do, do have a reason!

Agreed. My mare displayed exactly the same symptoms as you're describing OP and it turned out to be SI pain. She would canter on a hack with no issues but in the arena or on the lunge would change behind on a circle. We tried everything but never got her quite right and she was sold as a broodmare.

That being said my 5 year old once completed a 90cm SJ round where he landed after each fence disunited (after a normal warm up).. Cue paranoia from me thinking I had another with the same problem! I gave him 2 weeks off and several more weeks off jumping and he came back into work with no issues. Several years on he seems fine. Maybe it was a boot slipping or a bit of soreness but I'm glad I was cautious and gave him some time off.

I would give him some time off and then bring back into work. If the issue is consistent and seems to be associated with turning a circle or working in an outline I would ask the vet to investigate and probably nerve block the sacroiliac joint.

PercyMum

Visit site
Oh that doesnt sound good. It sounds stupid but I almost don't want to call the vet in case it is bad news. I really, really cannot tell you how much bad luck I have had with horses - I have not competed properly in almost 6 years due to contant problems.

I have kept them in the best possible care and they have wanted for nothing yet I seem to always have ones that end up crippled. This is despite full 5 stage vetting for each and every one. If this lad is wrong, this will be horse number 5 thats has broken.

I guess I will be making that call to the vet then...:(