ex racer

nickie_leigh

New User
Visit site
i have just brought a 16.2hh thoroughbred who is an ex-racer. she is really good in every way but she hasnt got any topline and is quite ribby she works quite well through her back so i was just wondering if there were any feed, work suggestions for her i would be very appreciative.

GTs

Visit site
I would not feed a horse off the track anything - they do not need it. Spring is a fine time to make her fat.

air78

www.ctwequine.com
If you can get hold of it Balanced horse feeds show mix is great, my ex racer has done really well on it- it contains eveything they need and doesn't make them silly. have a look on their web site http://www.balancedhorsefeeds.co.uk/
smile.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would not feed a horse off the track anything - they do not need it. Spring is a fine time to make her fat.

[/ QUOTE ]
i disagree!! if it's fresh off the track, then cut its feed back/out by all means.. but if its been a while since its racing days, and someones having trouble getting weight on it, then they'll need more than spring grass!!!!!!!
If found something like BlueChip does wonders.. or how about trying the soaked oats diet that everyones going on about (and i'm about to try)

Grey_Arab

Visit site
Yep, and not wanting to sound negative, but watch out for colic big time, I've known three ex-racers and they all suffer from repeating colic, this may just be bad luck but there we go.

Nailed

Visit site
Hello.
I bought an ex-racer two months ago. He is ribbyy and with no topline, the best thing you can do is feed him lots of quality forage and work her!!

Ted is on cool mix and has never had any colic trouble and he is an old ex-racer not a young one.. Good luck.

(you can also try sharpes/thirds)
lou x