Ex-racers breathing

JBM

Visit site
I’ve seen two ex races now that have made a noise while in canter..first told me it was because he’s unfit and second said it’s normal for most ex racers make a “pur”
Is this normal??

ihatework

Visit site
There are different sorts of noises a horse can make at gallop, some more significant than others. Always worth asking if a horse has ever been investigated or operated on for wind and if so what was found/done.
Doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t suitable for a job though.

Reactions: JBM

Cragrat

Visit site
Was it high-blowing? I do think Tb's high-blow more than other breeds. I love the sound - I was delighted when mine did it :)

Visit site
Definitely a high blower. I love high blowers! It's cute and can be quite useful for counting strides as each pffft is one stride. Definitely not a wind problem, won't ever affect them, you can't do anything about but you don't need to unless you plan on going into battle whilst trying to be stealthy - you would heard a mile off ?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I'd not heard the term before, but I've ridden a lot of horses that make this noise in canter. It's so common that I'd assumed it was a very normal noise for a horse to make.

Another horse that I ride for hacking, not in the centre where I have my lessons, "sings" when in a fast trot or canter. It's a kind of low crooning noise.

JBM

Visit site
Was just curious as that’s a video of second horse but i was told the first horse might fail the vetting so I’ll assume he’s not a high blower. Don’t have any clips of him breathing

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Here's how you tell if a breathing issue at canter will fall the vet.

Horses can only breath in at canter as their leading foreleg reaches forwards and they take one breath per stride. (Breathing at canter and gallop depends on the stretch/bunch/stretch/bunch action of the body). If the noise is as the leading foreleg reaches forwards, it's on the in breath and that indicates a potential problem.

If the horse is not on the leading foreleg when it makes the noise, then it's on the out breath and most likely just a high blower.

You're welcome ?

ArklePig

Visit site
High blowing is brand new information to me, but that is the cutest little noise I've ever heard.

ETA the term, not the concept of a horse making noise is new to me! This horse's one is adorable.

Oneday

Visit site
Believe Red Rum was a high blower, one of the reasons Richard Pitman was aware a horse was closing when he rode Crisp in the Grand National

JBM

Visit site
Here's how you tell if a breathing issue at canter will fall the vet.

Horses can only breath in at canter as their leading foreleg reaches forwards and they take one breath per stride. (Breathing at canter and gallop depends on the stretch/bunch/stretch/bunch action of the body). If the noise is as the leading foreleg reaches forwards, it's on the in breath and that indicates a potential problem.

If the horse is not on the leading foreleg when it makes the noise, then it's on the out breath and most likely just a high blower.

You're welcome ?
Thank you!