Ex-Racers

mrsh2010

Visit site
Where is the best place to look for a ex-racer?

Personally I'd rather get one direct than put money in the pocket of someone that's acted as a middle man and not done anything with it.

Thanks

Antw23uk

Visit site
Derek Shaw on FB has a good reputation that I can see and there are some other FB pages I vaguely look at from time to time. Source an ex racehorse is a decent site with horses direct from owners/ trainers yards. Blimey loads of places. I think if your ready for an off the track ex racehorse you would probably know where to get one from in my opinion.

How about one of the charities? They always seem very worthy of a look and do a great job. Good luck.

limestonelil

Visit site
How much work do you want to do yourself? Thoroughbred Rehabilitation Centre have been very good to deal with - and tell you things straight, in my experience.Located north West.

MCTM

Visit site
If you go to the charities, make sure you know what the financial details are at the start. I know that some ask for fairly substantial "donations" also ongoing monthly payments. It won't necessarily put you off using them but it's good to know before you go and fall in love with one!

sz90168

Visit site
I applied for one months ago and never had a response. How did you get in touch with them? They had some nice horses.

PercyMum

Visit site
Email Jo, and also call. Its the addresses in the website. She gets a lot of people time-wasting so I think will get back to you if she knows you are serious. I got a response within a few days and a month later ended up with The Knobber ('Dom' if you look on the 'past Horse' bit). She was totally upfront about him and what he was like and he is exactly as she said. I love him to bits and would go to them again if I wasn't currently consumed with a mad hankering for a New Forest Pony!!!

lewis2015

Visit site
Derek Shaw on FB has a good reputation that I can see and there are some other FB pages I vaguely look at from time to time. Source an ex racehorse is a decent site with horses direct from owners/ trainers yards. Blimey loads of places. I think if your ready for an off the track ex racehorse you would probably know where to get one from in my opinion.

How about one of the charities? They always seem very worthy of a look and do a great job. Good luck.

My mare came through Derek Shaw (although not directly to me from there) and she is a little belter :) Love her!

mrsh2010

Visit site
So yesterday I went to view an ex racer, he's broken down, been fired, come back into work, but cannot cope with their work load no more. Looked pretty good whilst trotting up in hand. Direct from the race yard.

My mum is keen, he's a good looking horse, well put together, but is it a risk taking on one you know has been injured and struggled to come back? My current lad is a hunt rescue, so I've taken a risk before and that's paid me back three fold. He's 10yrs old. All the grooms and trainers I spoke to on the yard told me what a pleasure he is to ride and handle.

I have applied and emailed Jo at Godolphin, but heard nothing back :(

Lanky Loll

Visit site
So yesterday I went to view an ex racer, he's broken down, been fired, come back into work, but cannot cope with their work load no more. Looked pretty good whilst trotting up in hand. Direct from the race yard.

My mum is keen, he's a good looking horse, well put together, but is it a risk taking on one you know has been injured and struggled to come back? My current lad is a hunt rescue, so I've taken a risk before and that's paid me back three fold. He's 10yrs old. All the grooms and trainers I spoke to on the yard told me what a pleasure he is to ride and handle.

I have applied and emailed Jo at Godolphin, but heard nothing back :(

My only caveat would be what do you hope to do with him? If you are thinking of doing any RoR showing then the fact that he has been fired and therefore has scarring would mean that he is only really eligible for the Challenge class where scars are discounted.

mrsh2010

Visit site
My only caveat would be what do you hope to do with him? If you are thinking of doing any RoR showing then the fact that he has been fired and therefore has scarring would mean that he is only really eligible for the Challenge class where scars are discounted.

Thank you - I was hoping to have a go at all ROR stuff, dressage, showing, eventing etc

He's legs don't look too bad, he's got a field scar on the inside of his hock from when he was a baby so suppose that would be a mark down too.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Thank you - I was hoping to have a go at all ROR stuff, dressage, showing, eventing etc

He's legs don't look too bad, he's got a field scar on the inside of his hock from when he was a baby so suppose that would be a mark down too.

It would indeed :( Also: only racing / training injuries are discounted for the challenge class. You would be fine for the other disciplines so long as he can stand up to the workload just not showing.

Visit site
It would indeed :( Also: only racing / training injuries are discounted for the challenge class. You would be fine for the other disciplines so long as he can stand up to the workload just not showing.

Judges won't know what injuries occurred during racing and which didn't so that is by the by.

Yes it will affect him showing in ROR qualifier classes but NOT Tarra classes. Most unaffiliated classes ignore blemishes too unless it comes down to 2 equally good horses then the less scarred of the 2 will do better.

I wouldn't be hunting or hunter trialing this year/season with him but if you do take him on (and the yard staff are the best ones to ask about horses as we know them better than the trainers!) then be prepared to give him time. Time is the key. Low level dressage and jumping kick on with, happy hacking etc. Just be careful of the ground and surface you are on - not too firm nor too deep or holding if you are jumping or pushing on into an extended canter or gallop. Always be mindful of this.

I make it sound like a hardship but it's not. Once you get used to keeping a check on the ground it will become second nature and as the years go on and the legs grow ever stronger you will find yourself worrying less and less about the ground.

Last edited: