Excercises for people?

sandi_84

Visit site
Brilliant suggestions, I have a yoga dvd (used once :eek:) and quite enjoyed it so may have to blow the dust off and give it a proper go. The only prob with joining classes is that there aren't that many available in my small area and those that are are extortionate! I'm really on a budget with my non-horse stuff so I can afford mr horse and equipment/vet fees/insurance/farrier etc etc etc :rolleyes: so I really need stuff I can do at home for free or for very little cost :eek:
What do you all think?

jenki13

Visit site
Dusting off that yoga dvd would probably be beneficial.

Also you can do exercises such as Planks, which build up core & ski-sits for leg endurance. Also squats, lunges, squat-thrusts can all help with maintaining muscle & balance - can all be done using your body-weight in your home.

You can also pick up yoga/pilates mats & fitness balls quite cheap that you can use. Sitting on a fitness ball / using it for planks is good for the core :)

sandi_84

Visit site
Dusting off that yoga dvd would probably be beneficial.

Also you can do exercises such as Planks, which build up core & ski-sits for leg endurance. Also squats, lunges, squat-thrusts can all help with maintaining muscle & balance - can all be done using your body-weight in your home.

You can also pick up yoga/pilates mats & fitness balls quite cheap that you can use. Sitting on a fitness ball / using it for planks is good for the core :)

Awesome thank you! What are planks and ski-sits? :confused:

Ladylina83

Visit site
Last edited:

sandi_84

Visit site
Ditto Plank and leg raises, Dust off that yoga DVD and try and get to a class. The body is lazy it will try and cheat without you even realising !

Also just be more concious of that area around your core, ie when climbing the stairs - bending down, mucking out etc Engaging during these activities will strengthen the muscles and support your lower back !

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/470

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/browse_categories/core

Ok thank you very much, will start tomorrow! :D

sandi_84

Visit site
You Tube is also very helpful for short yoga sessions so if you have a spare 5 mins there is no excuse :)

Ha ha true I could have started today but i'm soooo tired I wouldn't be able to pay attention properly :rolleyes: rubbish excuse I know but I'll start tomorrow, it can be my new year resolution... "must do yoga excercises once a day!" ;)

olop

Visit site
If you go on you tube search for "yoga" or "pilates" on there & you will get loads of videos with simple workouts or more energic routines on there. There are all sorts of fitness videos on there & all for free, who needs all these stupid celeb workout DVDs that they bring out every Xmas :D

Ladylina83

Visit site
Ha ha true I could have started today but i'm soooo tired I wouldn't be able to pay attention properly :rolleyes: rubbish excuse I know but I'll start tomorrow, it can be my new year resolution... "must do yoga excercises once a day!" ;)

ha ha don't worry ! I want to be a ruddy yoga teacher and even i struggle to find the motivation to practice every day

Vetwrap

Visit site
One of the girls that I worked with does Pole Dancing as a fitness thing. She thought that would be excellent for horse riders...

thoughts?

I haven't got the time to go and do a fitness class myself (however much it would benefit me and the boys!) but I thought I would "throw it into the mix"!

:)

leskaneen

Visit site
Pilates is Fab-if you don t want to go to a class there s a channel on Sky(next to Horse and Country TV 281 I think)that has loads of programmes on Core stuff-I Sky + them(Sad,I know!!)

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Pilates is all about core strength, posture, balance and keeping neutral hips and shoulders. It is brilliant for people who ride.

I have just started pilates classes and the instructor told me afterwards that I had really good body awareness and that it was probably due to riding horses! I suppose the two activities complement each other!

jenki13

Visit site
What about riding bareback? Surely, this is good for balance and posture?

Just a thought ;)

^^This is true but my problem with this would be trying to get on the horse in the 1st place as the mounting blocks aren't tall enough for me to swing my leg straight over :p

One of the girls that I worked with does Pole Dancing as a fitness thing. She thought that would be excellent for horse riders...

thoughts?

I think poledancing would be good for horse riders definitely- the strength of people that do it is great - lots of work in the core as well. Unfortunately it's not very widely done as far as I know & possibly expensive?