Excessive moulting?

Three

Visit site
Hi,

First of all an apology. I know I only ever venture in here when I have a query but that's cos you're all very wonderfully wise but a bit scary. :eek:

Youngest dog (GSD for those who don't know) is 6 now and appears to be moulting excessively. His coat is in tact (no bald patches) but he's been shedding huge tufts for weeks and weeks now which no amount of brushing appears to be curing.

I know the weather has varied loads but I wondered if there might be an underlying problem that could cause it?

He's very well in himself, bright bouncy and eating normally.

Please reassure me that I'm being an overanxious mother?

This is he.

100_1632-1.jpg

Vizslak

Visit site
Yes you probably are being over anxious! For which you are of course forgiven! :D
As long as hes not bald or sore anywhere I wouldnt worry. Its probably due to the fact this cold snap has hit us early and we have all whacked the heating on! It is coat change time of year anyway though. My lot seem to vary on amount of moult and duration of moult each time, I wouldnt be overly concerned. :) He is beautiful by the way :D

Three

Visit site
Thanks Vislak. :)

I was sure it was just the weather but needed some expert reassurance!

I shall stick with brushing and hoovering 17 times a day then. :D (ok, minor exaggeration but you get the idea! :rolleyes:)

Spudlet

Visit site
Who are you calling scary?
u075.gif

If there was a problem I'd expect to see lots of itching to go with the coat loss? So I reckon it's just moulting:)

Three

Visit site
What are you feeding?

I haven't changed his food at all; a mixture of dry complete food with a small amout of canned food.

Although I have changed Woody's (my other GSD) but it's very rare for them to touch each other's food bowls and Woods isn't moulting (any more than usual :D)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
My 2 are both having huge moults at the moment, I put it down to the fact that I have just had a new carpet fitted and they are doing it to spite me.:) Seriously I wouldn't worry unless he is scratching a lot of has bald spots, it is just the sudden change in the weather I am sure, and GSDs do know how to chuck their coat.:p

Three

Visit site
GSDs do know how to chuck their coat

Don't they though! :eek: :rolleyes:

I've had GSDs for 20 odd years now, (these are numbers 4 and 5), but I've not seen a moult quite like this one.

I'm very reassured that everyone thinks it's just one of those things though - but I'll keep an eye for itchyness (none at all at the moment, just the usual obsessive toe tidying that all my GSDs seem to indulge in! :D) or bald spots or anything else out of the ordinary.

Thank you all - perhaps you're not really THAT scary. :)