EXCITED!!! Pony going to Parelli guy next week!

nikCscott

Visit site
So the kids pony that I probably shouldn't have bought, but couldn't have left him where he was with open welts and serious issues, is provisionally booked in to got to stay a few weeks with the Parelli guy.

I've pretty much left him be and just worked on gaining his trust which we have done (the 'uncatchable' pony now comes to the gate when he sees me), but I know my limits, so off he goes next week, with the girls and I going up to work with them both as much as possible.

Pointless post just sharing my excitement :D:D

Here's the gorgeous man himself

Josiestartschoolyear1andsid018.jpg

stroppy

Visit site
I'm sorry but no matter what was wrong with any horse of mine would i let any person that uses parelli any where near them or any other animal for that matter.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Very pretty pony. Must say Im not a great fan of NH but then a lot of people are - but if it seems the right way to go for you and your pony I wish you good luck and hope it helps him resolve his issues.

kateknights

Visit site
I'm sorry but no matter what was wrong with any horse of mine would i let any person that uses parelli any where near them or any other animal for that matter.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditto this, sorry

Cedars

Visit site
Is it PARELLI, or Natural Horsemanship?

I would be hugely supportive of Kelly Marks-esque training - but I wouldnt go near any Parelli type training with, well, a carrot stick.

Fairynuff

Visit site
I wouldn't be 'excited' if I was sending my pony to PP or one of his eedjits. I would be incredibly worried and would be seriously thinking about a second mortgage! Do people still fall for his crap? PLease, don't send that lovely pony to PP.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
So the kids pony that I probably shouldn't have bought, but couldn't have left him where he was with open welts and serious issues, is provisionally booked in to got to stay a few weeks with the Parelli guy.

Hasn't he suffered enough?? Sorry - there MIGHT be some good Parelli types out there - but there are two around me and I have had *******-ups from both of them in to 'cure'! I wouldn't ask a Parelli trainer to teach a cat to drink milk!!

lannerch

Visit site
whats to be excited about?

Poor pony hasn't the poor thing been through enough?
Give the poor thing a break, a good nh kelly marks kind of trainer would be a better idea no circus tricks and a greater understanding of the horse.

Katieaston

Visit site
I personally do not rate parelli training methods, but rather than jumping down your throat like some have above, may I ask why you have chosen to send your pony to a parelli trainer specifically? As apposed to another type of trainer.

jinglejoys

Visit site
I'm presuming you're using James,great guy.He was riding my boy out in a week (Previous trainer had him 10wks and never got a foot in the stirrup
MalagaatJames015.jpg

MalagaatJames021.jpg

MalagaatJames015-1.jpg

Malaga loves him :)
004.jpg

Fairynuff

Visit site
I'm presuming you're using James,great guy.He was riding my boy out in a week (Previous trainer had him 10wks and never got a foot in the stirrup
MalagaatJames015.jpg

MalagaatJames021.jpg

MalagaatJames015-1.jpg

Malaga loves him :)
004.jpg

Im sorry but what a lot of crap. I backed my boy in 2 days and hacked him out on Mill Hill Broadway (with an experienced horseacting as shield/nanny) so who am I...god? All of my horses will allow me to put big blue balls on their back along with saddles, people and various 'things'. Lets get real,PP does what we all can do but WE dont ask for incredible amounts of money. He is having a 3 day clinic here in Italy...cost? £2,600 euro-pass me the sick bag please.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Im sorry but what a lot of crap. I backed my boy in 2 days and hacked him out on Mill Hill Broadway (with an experienced horseacting as shield/nanny) so who am I...god? All of my horses will allow me to put big blue balls on their back along with saddles, people and various 'things'. Lets get real,PP does what we all can do but WE dont ask for incredible amounts of money. He is having a 3 day clinic here in Italy...cost? £2,600 euro-pass me the sick bag please.

You should have join the boat show and made a few shillings Fairynuff!!! Why don't you give 'em a tinkle and pretend you're a pony-whisperer?

jinglejoys

Visit site

Sorry you feel that way but it is not a load of crap so don't call me a liar and its my mule so I should know.
It cost me £1800 NOT to have him backed by the previous trainer and he was worse behaved when I bought him back so "WE" do ask for incredible amounts of money...and I'm seeing him (I'm presuming you mean Parelli)in Birmingham for a two day show for £50 which is a lot cheaper hour for hour than most other clinitions :)

Queenbee

Visit site
what a sweet pretty little pony.

Takes all sorts, Personally, I wouldn't let a dead parelli person within a mile of my horse even though i am not opposed to other NH approaches but then I suppose someones got to line their pockets.

Am not going to ask why you chose this approach, you have obviously done your research and feel confident it is the best one. Hope it all works out for you and the little man. :)

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Hmmm it usually seems to be novice owners who haven't got a clue how to handle, bring on or school their horses that turn to Parelli. Shame really when good old common sense would go a long way with these so called 'problem' equines.

Wouldn't ever put my horse through that but then she's a well rounded, well schooled mare so she wouldn't need it. Oh and I've had her since she was 6 months old and she was an absolute terror to back and bring on but I worked through it with her and surprise, surprise she turned out just fine.

nikCscott

Visit site
My god - There's alot of you who obviously feel really strongly against this.

I genuinely felt that I was doing the best for him- having someone understand him etc etc .

So please WITHOUT being rude- please can you tell be why?

Comments such as 'Wky? Hasn't he been through enough' without further explaination- imply i'm trying to harm him! In answer to the question- yes more than enough hence why i have vowed never to sell this gorgeous 4 year old so i can ensure he as the life he deserves- but just throwing a comment like that in without any explaination doesn't help me.

I would never knowingly put any of my animals 'through' anything. This guy was recommended to me and I was just trying to do right by my pony- please can someone explain why ?...

This is in NO way a *****ty reply, your posted have got me genuinely worried.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
ok well my lad has supposably been parelli trained and in 4 months she gave him away as dangerous! the day we got him home we threw the halter in the bin put a headcollar on him and gave him time to be a horse. never had an issue since!

chestercharlie

Visit site
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=439133&highlight=parelli

Have a look at this thread....someone who condones this type of practice wouldnt step foot near any of my four leggeds.

We have someone at our yard who practices carrot stick. The horse can hardly put a foot in front of the other, eat its dinner, or do much else without getting a carrot stick or rope waggled at it. It is highly confused and very tolerant. I think there is a place for some of it, but in all reality, common sense usually prevails in dealing with any youngster etc. You don't need carrot sticks!!!

LouandBee

Visit site
Hi - if you do a search on here you'll find some very long threads on Parrelli including some clips of Pat Parelli with a stallion called Catwalk at a demo where they used a gum line and hobbles and also a few clips floating around of his wife with a blind horse - not great veiwing I'm afraid.

However I'm sure alot of us can admit we've seen worse from traditional trainers using 'common sense' - twitches, spurs, whips.....

However, I want to wish you luck with your horse and if you've found a trainer you trust then go with your instincts.

If I was in your position I think my choice would be someone like Micheal Peace or Kelly Marks.

nikCscott

Visit site
Thank you Louandnbea and chestercharlie for some constructive help- I'm going to postpone until I've had a good look into it. I'm relatively new to this forum so have not seen the previous posts.

Sids doing great with me anyway- he's lunging and long reining happily with a dummy on now, but as I weigh just under 11 stone and my daughter is only 5, I'm indicisive over the next step and thought a week or two with this guy might have been 'nice' for him, will keep looking for a capable small but older child or skinny adult to help me with backing etc.

Thank you

JoJo_

Visit site
I think a lot of people on this forum do not like the Parelli way of training. Personally I think the ideas behind it is good but I dont like the way they use a carrot stick and the long rope. I wouldnt use the Parelli way of training but i've watched some Kelly Marks stuff and she is very good. Perhaps have a look into it more before sending your pony away. I'd hate for him to come back worse than he is now.

Fairynuff

Visit site
You should have join the boat show and made a few shillings Fairynuff!!! Why don't you give 'em a tinkle and pretend you're a pony-whisperer?

Im too honest, i couldn't take the piddle on such a huge scale, BUT, if you want to send me your hard earned cash I will 'think' about your horse and make him all better. Okay?