Exercise after vaccinations

frostyfingers

Visit site
My horse is due is annual vaccinations on a Friday and I usually hunt on a Saturday. Previously I have given him a minimum of 24 hours after vaccination before any form of exercise, not sure why as I don't remember anyone actually telling me to but just do. If I don't have him done that day it will have to be the week before due to work commitments and I slightly begrudge not allowing the full year to elapse between jabs (for value for money reasons only!).

Is it fair to do something strenuous the following day or is it better just going for the week earlier and giving him a break between the injection and exercise?

xgemmax

Visit site
Think it's because they'll sweat out the injection so no I probably wouldn't go hunting the next day. Ask the vets opinion though?

Janovich

Visit site
My horse is due is annual vaccinations on a Friday and I usually hunt on a Saturday. Previously I have given him a minimum of 24 hours after vaccination before any form of exercise, not sure why as I don't remember anyone actually telling me to but just do. If I don't have him done that day it will have to be the week before due to work commitments and I slightly begrudge not allowing the full year to elapse between jabs (for value for money reasons only!).

Is it fair to do something strenuous the following day or is it better just going for the week earlier and giving him a break between the injection and exercise?

Mmmm.. I'm not sure on why I always give 24 hours off either, but I do!! If I remember correctly, the vet said they could be exercised but not to work up a sweat... but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

GermanyJo

Visit site
I would not hunt the day after a vaccination ... the vaccination is a mild 'challenge' to the immune system which is why vets generally advise to give them a couple of easy days (hence the normal no sweating comments) .. I would do it the week before

PorkChop

Visit site
Years ago Vet's did used to advise that after vaccinations you shouldn't exercise your horse hard for a good 24 hours. However I do believe that this is no longer the case, I actually have questioned my very good horse Vet on this and he said there was no need to treat them any differently.

So if it were me I would be happy to hunt the next day :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I mentioned this to my vet just now on the phone, he said fine to ride 24hrs but best not to work a sweat up and not to do more than horse/pony usually would do. Eventing, xc and hunting best avoided for 48hrs due to exertion required.
Mine are booked in for Monday afternoon :)

frostyfingers

Visit site
I've booked for the week before as I think it would be silly to risk it for the sake of a week. It's funny, I don't remember ever being told about leaving a day or so, but some instinct told me that it wasn't right!