exercise and training a two year old?

brandy28655

Visit site
Hi guys,
I have now owned Davi for two weeks, and his passport came today! Was so excited!
But, I digress.
Looking for recommendations on exercise and training for a 2-year-old? The vet has aged him as a rising 3 with a 2016 birthdate.
He is a very good doer, and does not run around the field like an idiot, so looking at ways to help train and gently exercise him. We do not want a fat pony.
Thanks for any advice given!
Brandy and Davi.
Well, Davi may not thank you for it!

Lintel

Visit site
I would start heading out and about in hand walks- exposure to the big bad world. I'd also be thinking about long reining- I'm not overly keen on lunging alot when they are so young, not the best for their developing bones.

When my boy was the same age as yours we did alot of "bombproofing" - he was rather podgy but did lose it once he started real work :)
Could you ride and lead "safely" - another option perhaps?

windand rain

Visit site
The training we do is for showing so teaching to lead and load. To acccept the halter or head collar properly, teach to trot in straight line or in very large circles in hand, Take with two people to the nearest busy road to stand and watch traffic getting nearer and nearer so they get used to it. We use shows for training too standing still accepting other people running horses about seeing ridden horses (it is surprising how many unridden horses freak at seeing a horse with a rider) and of course lorries and trailers moving about

brandy28655

Visit site
The training we do is for showing so teaching to lead and load. To acccept the halter or head collar properly, teach to trot in straight line or in very large circles in hand, Take with two people to the nearest busy road to stand and watch traffic getting nearer and nearer so they get used to it. We use shows for training too standing still accepting other people running horses about seeing ridden horses (it is surprising how many unridden horses freak at seeing a horse with a rider) and of course lorries and trailers moving about
He's actually really good at all of this. I use both halter and head collar, and he doesn't even blink. Walk and trot with him. Walk him to the road and stand on the verge as traffic goes by. My yard is surrounded by motorway, and when he came, took it like a pro. Have had him in the sand school with another horse being ridden and lunged. I walked him in hand and let him watch so he would have both experiences. Yesterday morning, a friend drove beside us walking down the farm road, so he could get used to cars on his side. The only thing he did, was when the car stopped, walked up and gave my friend a nuzzle in her car. Long-reigning is something I want to look at, I have no idea how to do it. But, youtube is my friend.

brandy28655

Visit site
I would start heading out and about in hand walks- exposure to the big bad world. I'd also be thinking about long reining- I'm not overly keen on lunging alot when they are so young, not the best for their developing bones.

When my boy was the same age as yours we did alot of "bombproofing" - he was rather podgy but did lose it once he started real work :)
Could you ride and lead "safely" - another option perhaps?
Im not sure about riding and leading. Ive never done it, and my mare hates him. She is jealous. But, I am going to take him out on the road, once the weather changes, IE no more Ice. The cold I can deal with.