Exercise-induced Pulmonary Hemorrhage?

katiejaye

Visit site
Can anyone tell me anything about this condition? What the long term implications are and if there is any available treatment? HOw does it effect condition/performance in the long run?

lizzieuk1

Visit site
basically you get rupturing of the capillaries in the lung tissue poss due to severe and sudden changes in the pressure within areas of the tissue that is thought to be underventilated. however it is of unknown cause, seems to affect different horses in different ways wrt performance some can perform adequately whilst others suffer laboured breathing, coughing and may slow or stop- most of the evidence collected seems to be from racehorses. often associated with small airways disease so trying to minimise exposure to allergens is recommended(dust etc)
hope that helps.

Cullohill

photobucket.com
i had an event horse that developed this slightly.... after xc he would have a slight bleed, usually his snot would just have blood in it. basically (as said) burst vessels but only small ones in my horses case either in his nasal passage or lungs due to the hard work of xc. he wasn't unfit or ill in any way...... we actually put him on the Feel Good 30 day supplement for breathing i'll look it up and to my surprise it stopped!??!! now no idea if the supplement worked or something happened but his bleeds stopped and he was sold on after a while, unfortunately not in contact with new owners so no idea if it ever came back or not......

hope that helps???

do you have a sufferer of EIPH??

Cullohill

photobucket.com
The feel good 30 is just called breathing science formula......

A high specification supplement with concentrated antioxidants to support the respiratory defence system, needed to overcome : coughs, nasal discharge, irritants and respiratory challenge.

Vitamins E and C are powerful antioxidants which support the respiratory deffence system.

Bioavailable organic selenium, copper, manganese and zinc to aid antioxidant defence systems.

Grapeseed extract, rich in flavenoids, maintains lung tissue strength.

Non-dusty formulation to maintain respiratory function in horses at risk from respiratory challenge.

katiejaye

Visit site
Hiya, I am suspecting that Louis may have EIPH as he has started having mini nose bleeds after SJ or after he has exerted himself. They have most often occured when he has been really hot also. I am going to have him checked over just to make sure but I suspect that it is EIPH. Also he suffers from allergies and have been told that the two can be linked. Thank you for the supplement advice. He's on Dodson and Horrel breath easy at the moment and has vitamin E also. I will definately try the feel good 30 as I have been recommended this by someone else also.

katiejaye

Visit site
Thanks I will have the vet check his breathing and respiratory problems again to check for any infections. I feel so bad making him go through a scope again though as he got really upset the last three times, even though he was sedated. I felt like such a mean mommy! Of course it was necessary to diagnose his condition and I know he'll probably need another one but he's going to be really stroppy with me afterwards!

Visit site
We are told it is a condition restricted to racehorses as horses have to be severely exerted to show signs, ie a level of exertion only likely in racehorses, and POSSIBLY eventers after XC but certainly not after showjumping. There is likely to be another reason for the nose bleeds (aka epistaxis) rather than EIPH.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
although it affects racers mainly it is not exclusive to them and there is a significant percentage of other horses that are affected also from several different disciplines.