Exercise saddles – advice please!

Spilletta

Visit site
I've just about given up looking for a nice second-hand half-tree exercise saddle so I'm looking at other options. Does anyone have an opinion/experience of Zilco saddles? I've found the half-tree exercise saddle for around the £277 mark, but if it costs that much, I was thinking I may as well try and stretch to a new leather one - I've spotted a Paul Jones one for £335.

To be honest, I haven’t looked at second-hand synthetic, although I guess that’s an option. Any pitfalls to avoid?

Would I be better off to bite the bullet and bash my credit card for a new leather one, or are the synthetic ones ok? Sometimes think that having something cheaper but not so great costs more in the long run.

All opinions welcome, please.

Thank you.

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
I used to ride in a synthetic exercise saddle and looked after well they do last. Only pitfall I found with it was it felt like I was rather perched on top of the horse. Have you looked at old mill exercise saddles? This is what I have now and I really rate it. I bought it new it was about 345 I think about a year ago and still looks brand new.

Spilletta

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I think the Old Mill ones look nice so good to have the recommendation.

I've not been exercising that long and have only been leant half- trees before. So would be interested in pros and cons of full/ half.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Half trees are not so kind to the backs. The Old Mill are recommended or go to Gibsons the saddlers, Newmarket for advice.
I think that the synthetic ones will not settle in like a leather one.

Visit site
I have ridden work in a full tree synthetic zilco saddle for the last 4 years and I love it. It has leather girth straps so they don't wear out as quickly. It's easy to keep clean, it's dry the next day after rain rather than getting a soggy bum from a leather one. I wouldn't swop it. The only thing I have found with it is that it is 19in so most polypads don't fit under it that great so I have my own Rambo Pads as they are long enough.

Most of the staff I work with have Old Mill leather saddles and they like them but personally I feel very perched on one and don't like them at all.