Exercises for stengthening Core Muscles??

BorgRae

Visit site
As the title really...

Can anyone recommend some exercises that I could do at home to strengthen my core muscles?

I suffer with a bad back and hips, (although ride through it as we all do!) and I feel that strengthening my core stability would improve my issues immensely!! … And improve my riding as well! :eek:

I have been recommended Pilates, but was wondering if you guys knew of something I could do everyday at home?

Ta muchly!! :D

LifeofRiley

Visit site
You can do pilates at home - get yourself enrolled on a few courses somewhere so you know what you are doing and how to do the exercises properly and then continue at home!

vhf

Visit site
Get a gym ball - and either google for exercises, or buy one that comes with a DVD. I sit on one instead of an office chair, and I know it's made a difference as I could only do it for short periods to start with and am now fine all day long.
Do stretches when you get up, and then through the day.
Practice standing on one leg (alternate the legs!) Do it when cleaning your teeth, washing up, whatever fits in your day. When you get clever, do it with your eyes closed, then standing on a cushion...
There are a lot of books etc. for home exercise regimes, but I would never (bother to?) fit them into my frantic schedule, so these are some of my compromises.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Planks and side planks ... do a google for diagrams because if i explian I will just confuse you ... and me :p

These exercises are excellent for building good core strength but you will find that by doing a variety of exercises and strength conditioning for say shoulders/ chest/ back ect you will get better results all round.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Not at home but the best thing I ever did was get some bareback riding sessions in. Made the world of difference and can really feel it now I only ride tacked for friends. Appreciate its not always possible though!

Annagain

Visit site
Planks and side planks as has already been mentioned but if you want to start off gently, just try pulling in your tummy muscles. One of the easiest ways is to go on all fours, with your back nice and straight, level with your shoulders and pull your tummy muscles up. Hold for 10 seconds and then release and repeat 10 times. You can also do this wherever / whenever when you're sitting, standing or walking. Feel as though you're trying to pull your tummy button to touch your spine but don't curl your body, keep your spine neutral.

The other one that's quite gentle to start off with is to go on all fours as above and extend opposite arms and legs (so left arm right leg and vice versa) straight out in front/behind you hold for 10 and then swap sides. Make sure you keep your back level and you don't slump to one side to help you balance.

Oh and sit ups :(

JVB

Visit site
Spending loads of time with your stomach held in/ clenched you know like you do when you want to look thinner? I've done this for years for that reason and I've been told I have pretty good core strength! Can only presume that's why... but it's nice and easy to fit in with loads of other tasks and you can look thinner in time too... bonus ;-)