Exercises/tips to help canter to trot transition?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
My young (ish) horse struggles in the transition downwards from canter to trot, she does it, not necessarily when asked and generally just sort of falls into an unbalanced trot, on the forehand, not taking any weight behind etc. She has quite a big canter anyway, it is gradually getting more under control (used to be a wall of death canter going round the school as fast as possible), but although it's slower now I don't feel she really takes much weight behind yet, hence why our transitions are so rubbish! She often feels she's not really listening so it's quite hard to set her up for transitions as she just feels a bit oblivious sometimes! She is quite naturally athletic but also quite lazy a lot of the time, almost like she finds everything too easy so can't really be bothered to put any effort in. Has anyone got any tips/exercises that can help? Thanks

PorkChop

Visit site
Tbh any exercise that encourages more weight onto the hind legs will help, it just takes time. I would do loads of trot-walk-trot transitions and changes of pace within the trot. Once she is more balanced then walk-canter-walk is brilliant for lifting up their forehand. Also if she is a bot lazy then keep her guessing with what is coming next :)

oldie48

Visit site
My horse was very like this when i got him. i found I needed to get him on the hind leg in walk and trot and balanced in trans between and in the lower paces before I could do much with the canter. spirals in and out helped and sitting on the inner seat bone to bring him back within the pace also worked.