Exercises to get 3yo going forwards

Toast

Visit site
I backed my 3yo in august last year, and gave him time off to mature as he was a late foal and a little under developed to be doing much hard work. Due to one thing and another i've not had chance to restart him until I moved to my fab new livery yard 3 weeks ago. He's been going really nicely on the lunge, sister had a sit on him and he was very amicable, he's walked and trotted on the lunge with a rider and was a superstar. However, he is a bit lazy, he can shift if he wants to, but its when he's asked to he lacks enthusiasm. I know i need to get him going forwards before thinking about a contact, which he will come down into very nicely eventually but i would like to get him going forwards.
SO.....any tips and exercises to help me get him going forwards off the leg when ridden and also lunging.
He does get bored easily so im hoping to be able to try a variety of things to keep him interested.

penina

Visit site
my old pony used to get bored very easily in the school, but she loved playing games and races etc because she saw the "point" of them. We used to put out jump wings and weave in and out, and practise throwing tennis balls into buckets, etc. She loved racing against the others, and I think she felt it was more productive than cantering round in circles ;)

Visit site
when my boy was newly broken at three, i did little schooling, i just started hacking out just walking around the farm up the lane and then round a housing estate i also had leading days, i took him out like a dog were i thought he could see new situations etc, im middleaged and looked at the bigger picture brought on slowly and did this for a year in all weathers a few years on hes unflappable pretty much and right from the start used voice commands stand, walk on , good boy etc,, all horses have a different mentallity age and three is young if you use your voice and give clear consistant commands and praise i would also reccommend some lessons off a good instructer, even if you just manage one a week for six weeks on your horse will bring you both on leaps and bounds , you wll get there :D