Exercises to help slow pony jumping

Ranyhyn

Visit site
We have just been lucky enough to purchase a great little pony for my daughter. Daughter loves to jump but has been used to our sedate little FYFR whereas this pony really jumps.

I'd like some ideas for simple exercises I can use to help slow the pony down whilst daughter gets used to the feeling of actually going forwards into a fence. (Pony is not tanking or in need of a stronger bit, they just need time to get used to each other and a bit more of a question for the pony to keep her thinking into a fence)

IrishMilo

Visit site
Canter poles would be a good way for her to get used to the pace without worrying about the jump, or striding. Neck strap might be useful too!

emilylou

Visit site
Canter poles and trot poles.
Coming into a fence off a circle so a slower pace can be established.
Gridwork
Keeping everything as cross poles

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thank you for those ideas. Polework definitely seems like the way forward. If anyone has any particular exercises that would be great. I did try raising alternate ends on some trot poles whilst she was on the lunge.

She did all three in a row on a bounce stride in canter :cool:

She's a really natty little pony, I adore her. Only wish I was 4" shorter and 4 stone lighter! :D

Leandy

Visit site
Poles. Sticking to trot and concentrating on the approach and the get away and getting the same rhythm for both. You can then transfer this to canter and only when she can manage it all in control in a good rhythm do you raise the fences, or up the pace, but always in a good rythm and in control. Transitions to walk and halt between the fences and after the fence will give your daughter confidence that she is in control, and remind the pony that she is not to take control!