exercises to see a stride?

Kelly1982

Visit site
What about pacing poles??

I was always told to let the jump come to you though
confused.gif

Ginn

Visit site
From experience I have found that the more you try to see a stride the more you screw it up! Your best bet is to always approach a fence in balance and in a good rhythm as 99% of the time the horse will sort its own striding out and if you interfer then you're more likely to throw the blance and have a pole down. Practice also makes perfect - the more horses you jump the better you'll be at "antisipating" the stride. I was alway taught that it was the riders jobs to get the horse 3 strides from a fence and then make sure that the leg stayed on so that the horse knew to keep going - howver it is up to the horse to sort out the last 3 strides and get you over the fence - if you approach in good balance and rhythm then you'll rarely have a problem.

Helena88

Visit site
whether you need to see a stride, i think depends what height your jumping, up to 1m10 i'd say you wouldnt need to see a stride, but above that you may well... or if you're jumping near the top of your horse or pony's capabilities he may need you to help him out with strides

i agree on placing poles.. or set up a related distance to help you see it and then take one of the fences away and see if you can then do it... but practice, practice, practice is always a good rule to live by

Claireg9

Visit site
If only it were that easy! What about a pony that is either bouncing up and down on the spot, or losing its impulsion in canter and just running fast and flat?
Ive been re schooling for 12 months now and seem to have more problems now im trying to get her to do it properly than before she was chooled! lol.
Damn horses always giving you challenges. On other horses i havent found seeing a stride a problem but then i am out of practise too so who knows!