Exercises to steady/rebalance canter

mini_b

Visit site
My horse “rushes” in canter somewhat.
he is a very large/long chap who was very unbalanced 18 months ago. Like 2/3 different horses stitched together ?

We’ve worked on building him up slowly as i didn’t want to break him or blow his brains. he’s never worked in an arena or done anything that asked him to work correctly.

He’s also quite hot so it’s a mix of balance and excitement issues.

now the point where he works well in walk and trot, in a mostly consistent outline.

Walk to canter is the least messy transition and he is round, not head in air etc.
he is so bighe does cover a lot of ground but his legs do genuinely need to slow, he starts to fall onto forehand and scrabble a bit.

I’ve been doing few strides of canter transitions back to walk/halt to rebalance then off again. Trot/canter/trot seems to fizz him up and the downward transitions ain’t so good! The first trot to canter is fab then the wheels come off a bit.

I think he’s also a bit nervy about the transition as he was struggling with canter right, now I’ve hammered that home he is far better than he was, he will strike off on the correct lead 9/10 which was a big ask and he isn’t doing the wall of death (mostly)
I didn’t care how crap the canter was it just had to be on the right leg.

I know more canter work to make it less exciting but I’d really like to improve the quality canter we’ve got, rather than spending 20 mins in a rubbish canter just to tire him.

My flat sessions with him are 20-25 minutes to get the best out of him. Any longer he starts to sour off.
I school in an arena a little smaller than 20x40.

well done for making it this far! :)

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I'd keep doing what you are doing, transitions out hacking. Try pole work and be consistent with stretches etc to help him build his core strength. Sound slike he just needs a bit more time but it heading in the right direction.

mini_b

Visit site
Ok I knew this would come up ?

when he first arrived he would take off in open spaces. Whether we were walking, trotting, cantering.

Now I can canter from point a to b. And in a straight line, it’s ok! I feel like he starts off on forehand but I’m able to get him back without him pulling or leaning (mostly) it’s all quite flat and I’m quite specific where because too open he will piss off.

In summer I do school on grass and can work on bigger circles but he does get hot and want to go.

he’s one of those set in his way types that’s oh this is bloody exciting and bogs off - I’ve got to the point where we can have a safe canter and both enjoy it but it’s got to be in a straight line and then onto the next part of our ride if you understand.

he was 100mph everywhere, bitted up to the eyeballs, martingale etc. Took all that off and can mostly ride in a snaffle (Pelham to jump)

there’s one very short hill I can canter up maybe 30m and then walk back down, the canter up it feels fab but it makes him razzy.

I completely get the logic behind both of your statements but he can be quite headless out and would quite like to keep our hacks fun time rather than fighting with him which what it ended with previously. I dreaded hacking him in company. I can now trot alongside someone and canter ONLY in front!

It’s been a long time to get him to be able to have a nice straight canter without me thinking we are going to end up in the next county!!

I don’t think I will change him fundamentally, he’s hot which is fine. Just want to improve the quality and use the hotness for snappy upwards rather than flat out!

Roxylola

Visit site
Hacking has improved our canter massively but I can appreciate why you might not want to. If transitions rev him up, I'd try transitions within the pace, on a bit back a bit type thing. I'd also work transitions in throughout a session rather than trying to do lots in one go.
Personally if they are a bit iffy in canter I think it helps to do a bit in the canter so they know that is actually what you want, but without battering round for ages, so pick up canter on a 15m circle at E for instance, finish the circle ride to a or c then trot and then do something else for a bit.
I'd also maybe try a few gentle leg yield steps inwards towards the three quarter line in canter down the long side, the back to trot

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
My mare isn't big or hot but she was very unbalanced and weak. She would plough on the forehand and like you describe scrabbling with her front legs. It felt like she was trying to dig to the bottom of the school she was so downhill.

Exactly the same as you I started off just wanting the correct lead, didn't care how long we were running to get into it, or what the canter we eventually got was like, as long as we got the right lead.

Once that was sorted she would canter along on the right lead but with her head and shoulders way off to the side and zooming around corners. I would dread cantering!

What worked for us was canter poles. Especially in corners where she was more likely to zoom and plough. 3 in the corner on a nice easy stride length (maybe slightly short to encourage her to collect slightly) but it gave me a visual and stopped me letting her fall out as I could aim for the middle, plus it gave her something to think about and less brain power to concentrate on being a t*t.

Another one I really liked was setting up the worlds tiniest jump (straight) at 12 and 6 on a big circle, essentially a raised pole really. This really helped my mare sit back and straighten up. I also added in just a pole on the ground at 3 and 9 as she got better.

Also if the lateral work is there then leg yield in canter? Otherwise what I also found helpful was working on the walk and trot, the better they got the better canter got by default.

I probably have some videos on my instagram of the exercises, I'll try and link them. Keep the faith! It sounds like you're going in the right direction and I remember thinking will this ever end and one day it just seemed to click (although we're still not perfect by any means, just less wall of death)

Jango

Visit site
What's he like on the lunge? I find lunging or long reining helps to build strength so they can balance without a rider. Also riding a diamond instead of a circle can help to balance using the corners so they don't run. Also loads of transitions, but appreciate this is tricky is he's hot.

mini_b

Visit site
[

What's he like on the lunge? I find lunging or long reining helps to build strength so they can balance without a rider. Also riding a diamond instead of a circle can help to balance using the corners so they don't run. Also loads of transitions, but appreciate this is tricky is he's hot.

I don’t lunge him really, but when I have he’s found cantering on the lunge very difficult.

he’s been checked by 2 different vets and a physio - no physical issues.

mini_b

Visit site
Amen to that.

I completely agree - the first trot to canter transition is good.
It’s once we are in the canter it goes slightly awry and then the transitions afterwards are hairy. I will not let him canter from a shit trot.

Walk to canter transitions are great, again it’s once in the canter.

mini_b

Visit site
Hacking has improved our canter massively but I can appreciate why you might not want to. If transitions rev him up, I'd try transitions within the pace, on a bit back a bit type thing. I'd also work transitions in throughout a session rather than trying to do lots in one go.
Personally if they are a bit iffy in canter I think it helps to do a bit in the canter so they know that is actually what you want, but without battering round for ages, so pick up canter on a 15m circle at E for instance, finish the circle ride to a or c then trot and then do something else for a bit.
I'd also maybe try a few gentle leg yield steps inwards towards the three quarter line in canter down the long side, the back to trot

actually on a bit, back a bit in canter might help him get the idea.
instead of me just trying to steady from the get go.
he’s finally understanding my inside leg isnt pushing him to go faster so that might work.

do you think figures of 8? Back into walk/trot then onto different leg over x?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If he is too hot to canter out and about then I would work on your lateral work in walk and trot and then ask for canter after it do four strides and back to trot and then go do something else for a bit.

Mine gets excited about canter but the more we did it the more he wanted to do so I just randomly asked for a small bit after doing something mentally taxing did half a circle and slowly built up a bit more then back to trot and ask for a leg yeild or SI for example so he has to concentrate on what comes next rather than being a lama and running into the downward transition he was ridden into it and asked for another movement straight after.

Transitions will hot up a horse if they don't have something to focus on once the transition has been done. They need to be concentrating on the rider and what they are going to ask next.

Also putting stuff around the school so they have to move around them in the chosen gait will also break up the "woohoo" of the gait. If that makes sense.

Also lots of gear changes within all the three gaits will definitely help.

be positive

Visit site
[

I don’t lunge him really, but when I have he’s found cantering on the lunge very difficult.

he’s been checked by 2 different vets and a physio - no physical issues.

If he is big and unbalanced he will find cantering on the lunge very hard especially if he is the type that wants to keep going so it may do more harm than good but lunging in walk and trot with loads of transitions getting him really using his back can help his balance and strength in general so in turn may be useful for the ridden canter work.

I would do a bit more in walk, use leg yield to encourage him to step under, to listen to you asking for the hind leg to engage and continue to use walk to canter for the transitions, he needs to be brought back to walk before he loses balance, even if he only does 2 or 3 strides to start with, gradually it will become longer and he will start to be more engaged physically and mentally with what you want if you don't allow him to become unbalanced and tense, continue to canter out hacking as that will help him become better established even if it is less organised that you want/ need in the school.
Walk work relates better to canter for most horses, many can show stunning trot work and rubbish canter but those often also have a poor quality walk.

Roxylola

Visit site
actually on a bit, back a bit in canter might help him get the idea.
instead of me just trying to steady from the get go.
he’s finally understanding my inside leg isnt pushing him to go faster so that might work.

do you think figures of 8? Back into walk/trot then onto different leg over x?
Yes, or serpentines, or a snowman shape
Snowman - canter left at x for a 20m circle, back to trot/walk at x 10m circle right in lower pace then, if appropriate back to canter left or right at x, obvs vice versa for the other rein.
Literally, 3 strides on 3 strides back helps though

mini_b

Visit site
If he is big and unbalanced he will find cantering on the lunge very hard especially if he is the type that wants to keep going so it may do more harm than good but lunging in walk and trot with loads of transitions getting him really using his back can help his balance and strength in general so in turn may be useful for the ridden canter work.

I would do a bit more in walk, use leg yield to encourage him to step under, to listen to you asking for the hind leg to engage and continue to use walk to canter for the transitions, he needs to be brought back to walk before he loses balance, even if he only does 2 or 3 strides to start with, gradually it will become longer and he will start to be more engaged physically and mentally with what you want if you don't allow him to become unbalanced and tense, continue to canter out hacking as that will help him become better established even if it is less organised that you want/ need in the school.
Walk work relates better to canter for most horses, many can show stunning trot work and rubbish canter but those often also have a poor quality walk.

I don’t push for the canter on the lunge as I agree it does more harm than good, he has offered it before and he seemed to think bugger that it’s hard and didn’t do it again.

We do lots of transitions in w/t but as you said, like to keep lunging to a minimum for the big lad.

he can produce a super trot once he’s working more from behind which is normally after we’ve done the hairy cantering and then brought it back to do something else!

I agree with bringing it back to walk after 3 strides but he doesn’t feel “ready” and I really struggle to get him to come down.
I can get it without a “fight” after 1/2 or 3/4 a circle. Should I be allowing him to continue until it feels the right time to ask and work to bring him down in less strides each time or really make him come down that soon.

when I count strides out loud in walk trot transitions he seems to get it the second time round and anticipate what I’m asking to him to do.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I completely agree - the first trot to canter transition is good.
It’s once we are in the canter it goes slightly awry and then the transitions afterwards are hairy. I will not let him canter from a shit trot.

Walk to canter transitions are great, again it’s once in the canter.

You may be jazzing him up by fighting? ride the sh*t transition like you want it to be and repeat, when he gets it he gets a quick pat, good boy and so on. I had a mare who was very hot and if i tried to force the issue she got herself into a right tizz and i got nothing but bad work but if i rode every transition like it was going to be good she relaxed enough to give me some good work. Half halts, lateral work, transitions. If he is rushing i'd pop a circle in, he'll have to slow and balance himself or he'll fall over! Good luck, sounds exciting and rewarding working with him :)

mini_b

Visit site
You may be jazzing him up by fighting? ride the sh*t transition like you want it to be and repeat, when he gets it he gets a quick pat, good boy and so on. I had a mare who was very hot and if i tried to force the issue she got herself into a right tizz and i got nothing but bad work but if i rode every transition like it was going to be good she relaxed enough to give me some good work. Half halts, lateral work, transitions. If he is rushing i'd pop a circle in, he'll have to slow and balance himself or he'll fall over! Good luck, sounds exciting and rewarding working with him :)

I learned very quickly that arguing makes everything ten times worse, I don’t get good work from him and I’m not a good enough rider to carry on with that, save it for my trainer! I sort of repeat my question until he’s figured it out. Rather than, you can do this and you will.

he goes like this with a pro rider, obviously better than what I can produce but the quality and balance isn’t in HIS toolkit yet, a pro just makes it look less of a mess.

what I mean when I say I won’t let him canter from a rubbish trot is just ride him down, circles, wait til he’s not a llama and ask again. which does help! It’s just trying to get him to sit back in the canter and slow his legs down I struggle with

be positive

Visit site
I don’t push for the canter on the lunge as I agree it does more harm than good, he has offered it before and he seemed to think bugger that it’s hard and didn’t do it again.

We do lots of transitions in w/t but as you said, like to keep lunging to a minimum for the big lad.

he can produce a super trot once he’s working more from behind which is normally after we’ve done the hairy cantering and then brought it back to do something else!

I agree with bringing it back to walk after 3 strides but he doesn’t feel “ready” and I really struggle to get him to come down.
I can get it without a “fight” after 1/2 or 3/4 a circle. Should I be allowing him to continue until it feels the right time to ask and work to bring him down in less strides each time or really make him come down that soon.

when I count strides out loud in walk trot transitions he seems to get it the second time round and anticipate what I’m asking to him to do.

Without seeing you it is not easy to be definitive but he 'should' come back when asked as by continuing he is probably pulling rather than pushing and losing the benefit gained in the upward transition, a few things to try rather than fighting that can help, if he is good to the voice, if not it is a useful tool to improve, use your voice clearly to 'WOAH' no other aid except your body going heavy and still so not moving with him in the movement of canter, a half halt from the seat that continues until he comes back to you, some respond to the rider giving a firm pat on the inside shoulder, just dropping the contact for the moment it takes to do so will often relax them, and the rider, enough that they stop tanking forward, a combination of both can work well, stop the fight and they are being rewarded almost before they stop, if he grinds to a complete halt do not be caught out I have seen a rider almost come off when the shocked horse stops faster than expected.
It is worth a try and has worked on a few fairly quickly if the rider gets the timing right several times in a row.

mini_b

Visit site
Without seeing you it is not easy to be definitive but he 'should' come back when asked as by continuing he is probably pulling rather than pushing and losing the benefit gained in the upward transition, a few things to try rather than fighting that can help, if he is good to the voice, if not it is a useful tool to improve, use your voice clearly to 'WOAH' no other aid except your body going heavy and still so not moving with him in the movement of canter, a half halt from the seat that continues until he comes back to you, some respond to the rider giving a firm pat on the inside shoulder, just dropping the contact for the moment it takes to do so will often relax them, and the rider, enough that they stop tanking forward, a combination of both can work well, stop the fight and they are being rewarded almost before they stop, if he grinds to a complete halt do not be caught out I have seen a rider almost come off when the shocked horse stops faster than expected.
It is worth a try and has worked on a few fairly quickly if the rider gets the timing right several times in a row.

he is good with voice aids, I do use them, I suspect probably not enough in this case as I’m concentrating and going silent.

you’re right he is now pulling because he’s fallen onto the forehand by that point so my timing is off when asking for the downward.
I feel like once I’ve got the up I must be too slow asking for the down.

all that sounds really helpful and like it would work for him. If I drop the contact (in the arena; not out cantering!) he does want to stop.
But it’s dropping it completely, which is obviously not what I want as i do need to talk to him - I’ve been trying all sorts!

I know the quality will improve as his strength, balance and co ordination improves, he just can find it all rather exciting with multiple transitions and tries to paddle through it.

ecb89

Visit site
I tried this last night - where are you asking for the transition?
Prepare on the track and ask just before/as you’re leaving.
Can play around with how much trot work you do before you ask again depending on where you are in the school.

mini_b

Visit site
Prepare on the track and ask just before/as you’re leaving.
Can play around with how much trot work you do before you ask again depending on where you are in the school.

brilliant thank you - this is what I was attempting I will keep at it!

mini_b

Visit site
Ok - so thank you to all those who have had input on this!

had a go at cantering across the diagonal which helped me set him up to sit back and steady for the corner - this helped!

popped some little x poles up which he finds exciting so i could mess about with adjustability - it was here I could get him listening and understanding my seat aids more.

he’s on the forehand naturally, this is his go to, so doesn’t help with the rushing and once he’s down there I find him hard to get back up.
Anyway, he’s actually getting the hang of slowing from my seat almost unbelievably.

so today since the ground is a little better I cantered around the edge of some fields and had a long enough stretch to push him on and then bring him back.

I feel like I’ve got something to work on and the secret to all of this was MORE LEG which I knew all along but it was psychologically very difficult to do when your canter feels a little bit out of control ?

so thank you all once again hive mind!! X