Exercises to strengthen the back (rider's)?

Matafleur

Visit site
Morning all,

Does anyone know of any good exercises to strengthen the lower back for riding in 2-point position?

We were XC schooling at the weekend and my lower back was absolutely burning after a few minutes of cantering/galloping. I think it must just be lack of fitness as I don't remember it being this bad last season.

Obviously the ideal would be plenty of work in 2-point but my horse doesn't really need to do anymore cantering/fittening type work than she is already and I am struggling to fit in the flatwork sessions that I need as well.

I do Pilates once a week but confess that otherwise my only real exercise is riding. I'm sure I would benefit from increased leg strengh too but at the moment my back is giving out long before my legs! :eek: I work full time (and some) and ride in the evenings and don't really have a Gym very close by. I am more likely to do 10/20 minutes at home every day than an hour twice/three times a week.

Any suggestions much appreciated, I'm sure if I could just give up work it would all be much easier! Ho hum... :)

soulfull

Visit site
the Pilates is the best way but you need to make sure you do it with a good instructor as even slight variations in position make the exercises useless. Also you need to do it more than once a week

it is definitely your core muscles that you need to strengthen as they support your back. I also need to do these!!

only_me

Visit site
I think it's more your core that needs strengthened, as it has a bigger role to play in balance :)
also, I found that if you increase your flexibility it also helps :)

a simple way of working your core, is in the evenings insted of sitting on the sofa sit on a gym ball, and challenge your balance by taking one foot off the floor etc. :)

funny how I am sitting in a back pain class :p

EmmaR

Visit site
Squats!!! My osteopath said to do squats every night to strengthen my back as i have a very weak back and struggle mucking out and carrying water buckets etc!!
So do 15-20 squats a night but start off slowly doing about 5 and slowly increasing it also do some whilst holding weights will strengthen your lower back big time!! and try doing them at a 90 degree angle.
Sit ups will also strengthen your core muscle which in turn supports your back!!
Hope this helps!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Have you actually had your back checked? It doesn't have to normally be painful to be slightly out! Also it worth someone videoing you while cantering to see what your poistion is like? I find if my shoulders come too far forward then it kills my lower back.

MattLuxton

Visit site
Morning all,

Does anyone know of any good exercises to strengthen the lower back for riding in 2-point position?

We were XC schooling at the weekend and my lower back was absolutely burning after a few minutes of cantering/galloping. I think it must just be lack of fitness as I don't remember it being this bad last season.

Obviously the ideal would be plenty of work in 2-point but my horse doesn't really need to do anymore cantering/fittening type work than she is already and I am struggling to fit in the flatwork sessions that I need as well.

I do Pilates once a week but confess that otherwise my only real exercise is riding. I'm sure I would benefit from increased leg strengh too but at the moment my back is giving out long before my legs! :eek: I work full time (and some) and ride in the evenings and don't really have a Gym very close by. I am more likely to do 10/20 minutes at home every day than an hour twice/three times a week.

Any suggestions much appreciated, I'm sure if I could just give up work it would all be much easier! Ho hum... :)

Hi Matafleur

This is a great post. I work with a number of equestrian athletes to help them improve their core stability and equestrian specific fitness. This is something that is not uncommon. Infact, when most of the equestrian athletes meet with me for their consultation, the biggest complaint is of lower back pain.

The muscles of the lower back are multiple. The ones that fatigue and give you that burning sensation are the smaller erector spinae and multifidi. The multifidi are the ones that join each individual vertebrae together and join to the facet joints of your spine.

To improve the endurance of these muscles, you really need to train them in conjunction with the glutes. Up to now the pilates may have been ok, but it doesnt prepare the muscles to work when your cardiovascular system is under stress. There comes a point in your training where you need to integrate the core work with the interval based CV work.

By performing some leg strengthening exercises in a dynamic fashion, in combination now with your stability ball planks (very good for 2 point pos), you will start to be able to use that core strength with out losing the intra abdominal pressure that holds you strong in the saddle.

I hope this helps

Matt:)

dressage_diva

Visit site
Agree with others - you need to strength your core, whether that be by working on an exercise ball or doing pilates.

I find 1000m on the rowing machine really really helps. that, and working at good deportment!

Using a rowing machine is a great way to improve all round fitness/muscle tone and definitely helps with back strengthening and improving posture.

I never had a days back pain until shortly after I stopped rowing at University! One thing to point out however is that most people I see in a gym do NOT use a rowing machine correctly (and few gym instructors seem to teach them how to do it properly either). Starting at the front of the rowing machine (legs bent) you should push off straightening your legs and not until your legs are straight should you bend your arms, then when you reach the back of the rowing machine, you send your hands away first before you slide forward, i.e. send your hands and arms forward whilst your legs are still straight. Most people will bend there knees first and then send their arms away. This video is quite good for technique: http://www.concept2.com/us/training/technique.asp (though she possibly bends her knees a fraction early).

If you do use a rowing machine, it is really really important that you follow this correct technique as otherwise a) your workout will be far less effective and b) you could injure your back rather than strengthen it!!!!