Exercising horse at home b4 going to comp ?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If needed yes.

You would be surprised by the number of horses that are ridden very early doors when they have stayed overnight at a show. When I was showing there was one particular heavy that would be hacking around the lorry parks all night !

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have done this with a new horse, for the first time out etc. I don't use it as a rule but for a first time why not have a nice time, because the horse has had the edge taken off? I usually lunge, so he/she is not already ridden.

I also did this with new Police Horses for their first football matches. Again, when they are worked they would be more likely to stand relaxed and learn the game rather than being off on their own mission.

If it is needed long term though, it would seem that something else needs addressing.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes, and with one v sharp large breed yrs ago, we did a ODE in the morning, then travelled an hour or so to do a whp qualifier. 1st time i ever had a decent listening pony, and duly won.
At Wembley he was working before dawn.....
For dressage in the recent past, have hacked out for a jolly good hour, before loading tacked up and travelling locally, arriving about 10 mins before my time :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Reckon most horses would benefit. Not just if they are sharp but to get a nice slow warm up before the adrenalin starts buzzing. I often ride and lead the one I am taking to the show as need to exercise my main one anyway and the other one is a bit sharp.

TickyTavey

Visit site
Agree it helps taking edge off a young or fresh horse. Conversely, I also used to take my older boy for a short walk-hack to warm him up for travelling. Figured I would always walk him out before asking him to work and travelling also demanding but in a different way.