Exercising more than once a day

Natassia

Visit site
I took my horse out for a hack alone ths morning, was going to go out for a longer ride but cut it short, so it was about 45 mins, mainly at walk because the ground was very hard. He is reasonably fit and didn't break a sweat at all, I wouldn't consider this to be enough work for him, especially as he has to be worked as a method of controlling his weight during the summer, as well as the other reasons for exercise.

The reason I cut this morning's hack short was because although he started off really well he quickly became really tense on the road, it worried me a bit actually. He can be tense, but I think the spring grass is having an effect. He suddenly tensed up as if spooking at something, but there was nothing there that I could see. Then he starts napping in the road and trying to tank off towards home. Thankfully the road is quiet, especially early on a Sat morning. I managed to get him up a quiet cul de sac to try to calm him down, but then he starts broncing in there, so I just asked him to stand still and scratched his neck etc. to reassure him. Then it was if something switched in his mind, after a good 15 mins he was fine and walked forward quite nicely, of course he got lots of praise for this. I just did a ride with him that he does regularly and knows, he was sharp but fine, and calmed himself down.

I was just going to lunge him for 15 mins this evening, in order to burn a few more calories and to get him listening to me a bit more, to see how he is after this morning. He is quite a sharp horse to hack out but he hasn't been that bad for a few months. Has anyone got any ideas? Also would it be ok to do something with him this evening?

Any advice would be appreciated, Nxx

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
if he is fit, then yes will be fine - H used to be at riding school and used to do 3 hours of work a day !! although he was not happy !!! but as you are doing something different later I would think he will like it.

elliegirl12

Visit site
i think if they are fit then i dont see why not to me its a bit like when you are riding at a show and doing several classes .... should be fine cuz you didnt ride him for long as long as you are not doing it everyday
smile.gif

nataliestill

New User
Visit site
It won't do any harm especially if he's fit, but bear in mind the more work you do the fitter he will get which may make him even sharper!

Natassia

Visit site
I don't mind him being sharp, I'd rather him be fit and sharp than overweight during the summer! I'm quite sure it is the spring grass, its like he's the same but exaggerated, so spookier and sharper..he was the same last year! I lunged him lightly just in his bridle this evening and he was fine, really forward as well. Thanks for the replies Nx

spookypony

Visit site
Hmm, within a 24-hour period, I took mine hunting, did a lesson, a hack to a show, 2 dressage classes, and a hack home. He regularly does a lesson the same day as dressage, and on those days, there's about 1.5 hours hacking time to get to and from the venues. He's absolutely fine.

I think 45 mins walking and 15 mins lunging is still quite light, especially if he is used to more!