Expensive (to buy) horses

skint1

Visit site
I have recently noticed a very smart looking BE horse for sale for £80,000 Now, I am the first to admit that I'm a terrible hick and I don't suppose every horse I know personally added together would be worth even half that so this is a world into which I have absolutely no insight. am not slighting or judging the horse (who I am sure is excellent) as I am not qualified to do so, I am just curious really, is that a realistic price?

I would imagine spending that sort of money would lead to expectation of a return. I can see how a racehorse could offer such a return, but are the prizes in eventing up to that? I guess it's all relative, I couldn't pay that much for a horse if I wanted to, and if I did I would be a nervous wreck as horses never fail to surprise in the new and inventive ways they find to kill themselves!

be positive

Visit site
The return for most people is the fun to be had from competing, not that many people will spend anything like £80k on a horse to have fun on, I looked at the ad and the wording is rather misleading as it claims he went to the world championships suggesting he was on a team, when in fact he did the 2*, as a young rider prospect he could be worth the money but I think it is a very ambitious price for what is an advanced horse not proven at that level so not a "schoolmaster" and probably not a horse for a pro as they will usually buy youngsters to bring on or get given the ride on a made horse by the owner.

He does look lovely, well produced by a pro in 2014 and I am sure someone with deep pockets will buy him and have great fun but they will be unlikely to see any return unless he wins Badminton in a couple of year time.

paddi22

Visit site
yes i was confused by that ad too. horse and hound ads are hardly the place you would be looking if you had 80,000 to spend on an eventer?

glamourpuss

Visit site
Is it a realistic price for a horse. Yes.
There are lots of people in the horse world where £80,000 isn't actually a lot of money for a horse. They can afford to 'lose' it, aren't bothered about a return & will happily pay for a horse they like & they can have success/fun with.
Just as some people can afford to drive Ferrari's etc others can afford expensive horses.