Experiences to Share/Advice Please

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I posted here for increased traffic although breeding or vet section may have been more appropriate. If anyone has anything to share regarding the following I would be grateful - the vet is not concerned and is due end of next week for a visit anyway...

My 20 year old mare has started lactating. She has not been in the vicinity of a stallion in the 3/4 years I have owned her and she hasnt done this during this time. She has shared a field with my 5 year old mare for 2 years and is stabled in a barn with a mix of mares and geldings. We moved yards where the geldings are in a field close by whereas before they were completely separated- visible but not touching.The grass is more rich than previous yard having previously grazed cattle but no clover (vet said this sometimes can contribute to this phenomena).

The interesting thing which I am thinking has been the trigger was the introduction of another mare and gelding to the yard 6 weeks ago. When new mare was introduced to my two the oldie displayed real aggression and at the time i commented it was almost like a mare defending her foal. She kept new mare away from my younger mare. We overcame the difficulties and the 3 some settled down with oldie mare being the boss ( which surprised me as I thought my 5 year old was in charge). Two weeks ago new mare was removed from my two and put back with the gelding she came with..and he is mounting new mare..which makes me wonder if he is a rig.

So has anyone had any experiences of older mares lactating whilst not in foal? The milk is white and appears un infected..her udder is firm but Im not stripping her as I dont want to encourage more milk creation. Old mare is happy in herself - eating and drinking and trotting about field when turned out - she is carrying more weight than usual. I hope it is a phase and will not turn out to be cysts on ovaries or womb so any anecdotes would be welcome.

Thank you

MLC

HeyMich

Visit site
My mare is lactating too, but she did it this time last year as well. I've put it down to the clover in the field (not abundant, but must be there in some quantity). Again, her teats are not hard or hot, no sign of mastitis.

If you are worried, call your vet to ask. It might be that she needs a simple hormonal balancing supplement or similar. They also might scan her ovaries to check that there aren't any cysts or such affecting her hormones.

If it's simply down to herd dynamics, it should settle by itself fairly soon.

Good luck, and let us know how she is x

windand rain

Visit site
Happens sometimes if a mare has foaled previously, the grass is rich and oddly if a mare and foal are within scenting distance too

Antw23uk

Visit site
My mare was lactating a couple of months ago .. I think .. to be honest I was like 'erm thats not right' at the time but I cant remember why, where or for what reason we put it down to (not helpful and i sound like a bad owner, lol!) but my mare is eight so not a maiden mare but it happens and will likely be a change of routine and a change in diet? (be that new grass/ soil type ect)

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Thank you for your replies - it kind of puts my mind at peace if others have experienced similar - particular Heymich as we are in the same neck of the woods and could be experiencing similar weather/land conditions etc. I will post any developments/findings - Im hoping its not ovaries/womb and more environmental factors in play. Thank you again.