Experiences with Ecogrid

Hack4fun

Visit site
Has anyone come across a product called Ecogrid - it is said to be suitable for a range of uses including equestrian.

I am fed up with winter mud - we live on clay soil and horses live out 24/7 - so I want to create a firm dry area where I can put the round bale feeder and my mobile field shelter, and in the worst of winter to use as a turnout area to spare my paddocks.

Has anyone come across this before and what was it like?

The alternative would be to create a crushed stone area.

Thank you.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I have used a similar product to Ecogrid for a vehicle parking and turning area, it worked well.
I wouldn’t use it for a turnout area for horses on clay. The tiles need to be laid on a prepared surface such as levelled and compacted crushed stone, so for a turnout area I would just have the crushed stone.
Both require planning permission so no advantage there.

Hack4fun

Visit site
Yes, thank you. The Ecogrid would need to stone base as you say. I have already put in for planning permission for stone and am waiting the outcome. Some have said that crushed stone will break up over time with the impact of hooves and frost. I don't like concrete though, and stone could easily topped up.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I am on clay too and have a crushed stone turnout area and a crushed stone track. It’s made from quarry waste which is £5 a tonne from our local quarry. I like the look of it, it grasses over and is easy to maintain.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I used it the winter we first moved here and quickly needed an area for the ponies to stand on. I didn't put stone underneath it but there is probably hardcore a few inches underneath it anyway rather than it be bottomless. I then used quarry conveyor matting on top (very heavy duty rubber). It worked very well-its still there 4 years later. the matting is a type that doesn't get slippy when wet/frosty. It was only used for a couple of smaller, unshod ponies but would use it again for a larger area-mine was only 20ft x 15ft.