Expert help - revisit fee

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes, a horse isn't like a car where you can put a warranty on a new part ;) There are no guarantees!

I'd expect to pay the full amount for their time again. If you didn't think they had done a good job in the first place then I'd expect to call someone different, but again that will be the full fee :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What was the problem? Perhaps you can ask for some training for you as part of next visit so you can resolve it yourself in future?

I think the only horsey professional i wouldn't expect to pay the full fee for a return visit would be my physio. First trip to see a horse includes full assessment, taking history etc. Follow up treatment doesn't take so long.

JillA

Visit site
Did they help you to know how to deal with the problem when he was back in your charge again, as in train you for the last segment of the work? Or did they offer that service? TBH you can undo a month's schooling in a very few minutes if you don't know how to take it forward.

wallyevent

Visit site
It was for loading, they showed me what to do at the end of the session, but by then my horse was loading himself, so I didn't really get to know what I should do if he was to start to question it again. I asked and got a brief explanation, but putting it in to practice when they arent there to guide you is hard!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I would indeed expect to pay. It could be after a top up he is fine for good, it might be he needs another session.
This time you show the person how you load and let them work through you.

burtie

Visit site
It was for loading, they showed me what to do at the end of the session, but by then my horse was loading himself, so I didn't really get to know what I should do if he was to start to question it again. I asked and got a brief explanation, but putting it in to practice when they arent there to guide you is hard!

If he has re-lapsed after being fine for a while I would take a good look at your driving and/or the suitability/stability of the what you are loading him into!

gnubee

Visit site
For loading, with a horse you know has been ok in recent past, i would look for training for you rather than the horse. If you feel like the first person could train you well then see if they will offer that service. If not, if horse was cured but relapsed with you, i would look for a people trainer rather than a horse trainer.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I agree that it is a loading issue and your horse been fine, you need to give your transport a good service as a first port of call.

My friends horse stopped loading all of a sudden after never showing a problem before. Turned out there was a rotting floor board that he had spotted.

After fully checking the transport and assessing your driving, then I'd call the expert back.

Last edited:

Blurr

Visit site
Yes, I'd expect to pay again. If you're not happy with what the person taught you to enable you to continue your horse's education, perhaps you should try someone different? And make sure that before they leave you are confident that you have been given the tools to continue loading practice and know how to manage if things start to go wrong again. Whilst loading issues are initially about getting the horse on the box, they are at least equally about teaching the owner how to be effective so that they can do it themselves. And then it's down to you to practice, practice, practice and make it a positive experience for your horse. Loading issues are never solved in a few hours, even if the trainer gets the horse on the box 30 times and has it loading itself, the real work starts when the trainer goes home.

popsdosh

Visit site
I really think OP the problem lays in the actual trailer or the driving .I say this because it has just come back again after you were ok for a while so sort those issues first otherwise your money will be wasted . can you borrow another trailer to try and see if it improves?
How often have you been travelling?
Its is no use wasting time practising loading if you dont sort out the reason why he wont.

Blurr

Visit site
I really think OP the problem lays in the actual trailer or the driving .I say this because it has just come back again after you were ok for a while so sort those issues first otherwise your money will be wasted . can you borrow another trailer to try and see if it improves?
Its is no use wasting time practising loading if you dont sort out the reason why he wont.

Totally agree with this.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I agree that it is a loading issue and your horse been fine, you need to give your transport a good service as a first port of call.

My friends horse stopped loading all of a sudden after never showing a problem before. Turned out there was a rotting floor board that he had spotted.

After fully checking the transport and assessing your driving, then I'd call the expert back.

My mare was the same, never had a problem loading until she noticed a rotten floor which we didnt know about ( not my trailer, she was off on loan but never went as wouldn't load) wasn't until we put the back up that the floor had moved and couldn't surcure the back for them to leave. My horse could off been in that along the road :(

wallyevent

Visit site
I'm confident it isn't the trailer (regularly serviced equitrek with aluminium floor) or the driving (husband who ran his own horse transport business for many years) and the horse always travels really well once he's actually in! I have had the horse for 11 years and he's always been tricky to load, I think it all stems from when he was brought over from Ireland before I bought him, but will never really know!
I agree it's me that's the issue as I am not totally clear on how to deal with him when he questions going on the box, and he knows he is stronger than me so can take advantage of that. Will get the expert to give me some more training so I can hopefully deal with it from then on!

canteron

Visit site

One other thing to consider is that the horse is now having difficultly balancing himself - sounds funny but it happens to a lot of horses. One of mine was a horrible traveller and it was only (after a suggestion on here) that I took the Partition out that the horse could balance itself and then she travelled fine. (Horses NEVER lean on thing for support they spread their back legs to get balance and sometimes there just isn't room enough in a 'half' trailer for them to find and angle and spread their legs). Having a CCTV in the trailer really helped me see what was happening.

In answer to your question though, yes I would expect to pay the full fee, but make it clear when booking that you are the one wanting the training, not the horse!