Exterior stain and paint

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I want to treat my wooden gates and my stable doors the gates I was thinking a stain of some sort any recommendations?

The stable doors I was thinking a grey colour would look nice and I have a few wooden benches that need spucing up, so will do 1 grey and stain the others I think.

Any recommendations on paint there are so many?

Esmae

Visit site
All I will say is don't use Barn Paint. We put it on our stables and it has been a nightmare cracking and peeling. It was so bad we had the manufacturers out (we dealt with them for business) and they didn't know what had gone wrong but they did say that a certain % of customers had similar problems. So steer clear. I have used Cuprinol since and that seems as good as any.

PurBee

Visit site
Sadolin Extra is a very good long-lasting stain and sheen finish for natural wood. They do it in a range of wood colours. Its more spendy than some other makes but its definitely a better quality paint than other leading brands i used when contracting as a painter in my old life.

For the grey, consider Dulux Weathershield range - they do vast colours.

Northern Hare

Visit site
We've got rough sorn weatherboarding on our house, painted black, and last year we had it repainted with the satin Bedec Barn Paint, and I have to say it has done a great job, but @Esmae above had not had a good experience with it.

As an alternative, we use Sadolin Superdec Paint on another property with weatherboarding and that's an excellent paint but quite pricey (about £80/5 litre), although after the first couple of coats you use very little paint per coat.

I believe both of the above paints are modern water based paints, and come with guidelines on the info sheets to confirm what they can be painted on top of - for example they may not be suitable on top of old oil-based gloss etc, it would definitely be worth checking before you buy the paint. 🎨🖌️