Extra Full or made to measure bridles..

CBFan

Visit site
Hi... I am looking for reccomendations for a bridle for a big 'ead!

Horse is currently in a Stubben XF which fits (although has pony sized cheek pieces!) need to get a plain double bridle for showing and don't particularly want to spend a fortune but want good quality ENGLISH leather (was lucky - picked up the Stubben for £20!)... around about the £100 mark would be good.

Any ideas? I have been reccomended heritage before and their XXF would be about right (with shorter cheeks) anyone have any of their leatherwork?

Ta!

jnb

Visit site
I haven't any experience with Heritage but I'd recommend ringing Morris & Nolan (Walsall) - they will make to measure or mix & match sizes to suit - not that expensive around £120 for a double bridle inc 2 pairs of quality reins and a lip strap.
Very very helpful and quick!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Hiya. I'm looking for a bespoke bridle and found website for Goughs at Walsall. All bridle s made from sedgewick leather which I love. Haven't enquired about price yet though.

Wheels

Visit site
I bought a browband from Goughs, really good quality, I'm very pleased with. I enquired about bridle prices for a plain bridle with raised browband and noseband was around 130 although he couldn't give me an exact price as it would depend on sizes, thickness of leather etc but will definitely be buying a bridle from him for my youngster in the next yr or so

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Wheels, have just been on the phone to goughs and am waiting for a call back re price. We had one s while back and I think that was around £130 mark. I need chestnut to match saddle so I think it may be a bit more though. Anyway glad you like them too.

mrsh2010

Visit site
Depends where you are, before I lost my boy, I used to get him the WB size bridle from Horsatack in Milton Keynes, they were big. Unfortunately I've recently sold both bridles to a lady that was having the same issue, she bought one and it fitted so nicely she had my other one.

Think they were about £30, been a couple of years since I last bought one

WelshD

Visit site
The English Bridle company mentioned above are good and the leather is beautifully soft

CBFan

Visit site
Thanks all!

Nice to have a few reccomendations. I emailed Goughs this morning and they've come back to me with a price already. A little out of my price range at present but worth the money for the craftmanship I'm sure... I might buy a clencher browband from them as they do look smart... but that is a whole other quandry! What will suit the boy??!

This is he!

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=615839

scarymare

Visit site
I got so fed up with needing a great big browband, cob sized cheeks etc that in the end I took my bridle to my local saddler (who also mends/makes leather goods) and said 'how much to copy this with these measurements (and can you make the noseband a tad wider)

Never looked back since. Money was about £80 as I remember but fantastic leather and really nice result. Worth a try I'd say. I'll bet you'll get one copied to fit from a photo and you wont need to buy the extra bits.

Oliver12

Visit site
My saddler came out and measured my Irish Draught for a bridle. Cost £80 for a hunter bridle made from Sedgewick's leather.

Liane

Visit site
After spending a considerable amount of time measuring different makes of bridle that were XF I can confirm that Kieffer comes up considerably bigger than Stubben and several other makes. I thought I would have to get a bridle made for my boy as most XF bridles do not fit but Kieffer is a lot bigger and good quality too!

CBFan

Visit site
Thank you all.

Unfortunately there isn't anywhere local that makes tack anymore... I asked a friend of a friend if he would but he only makes in-hand bridles.

Thanks for the tip about Kieffer!

A few more avenues to explore...

cblover

Visit site
I have a GFS x full bridle for Tedbert. Lovely leather, hunter noseband and I think it was around £40 from ebay brand new. Really rate it and it looks very smart.

Tedbert has a head the size of a toddler, so it should be ok for your handsome boy! x

CBFan

Visit site
I have a GFS x full bridle for Tedbert. Lovely leather, hunter noseband and I think it was around £40 from ebay brand new. Really rate it and it looks very smart.

Tedbert has a head the size of a toddler, so it should be ok for your handsome boy! x

Thank you! What thickness noseband do you reckon I should go for? A lot of the pics of CBs seems to show them with quite narrow nosebands...

Mongoose11

Visit site
www.fyldesaddleryltd.co.uk

I ordered yesterday and my parcel arrived TODAY! Lovely quality, hand made and a very fair price. Currently browsing to see what else I don't need...

Having looked at the pic of your boy I would definitely go 1.75 hunter on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreyaB

Visit site
I had a Don Harry bridle made to measure for my boy, beautiful bridle, great quality and AMAZING customer service! Raphaella was so helpful and put up with my indecision and stupid questions, I'd definitely reccomend them!

cblover

Visit site
I think between 1.5 and 2 inch noseband should be fine. He's a big lad but a refined one at that.... Not like my Tedbert! Lol x

bexcy-bee

Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread, but I have a XXF heritage double and it's fab! Would definitely recommend!

Might even be for sale if your interested...

Bexcy-bee x

Queenbee

Visit site
Can 100% reccomend Martin... Fantastic workmanship, many on here have used him, never heard a bad word and have some of his stuff myself, reasonable prices too, made to measure with English leather... Can attest to the quality of his work and the product.

http://mrhsaddler.com/